1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

no spark, no fuel..

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:58 PM
dohc97neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark, no fuel..

hi all, new here with a few questions..
after reading on this site for close to 6 months, this is the first time that i couldn't search and find a straight answer for my problem. I recently owned a 95 neon, and bought a 97 neon sohc. Well after coming across a 97 dohc neon, i had to have it. The problem with the 97 dohc is that it has no fire and the fuel pump doesn't kick in either. there is no power going to the middle coil wire. i have tried relays and fuses and coil pack from my other car which i know work because i drive my sohc car daily. the problem that is bothering me is that i also dont have a check engine light either. what im wondering is if the pcm might be no good because of all these things happening at once and if i can temporarly use the one from my sohc motor to try and see if it would work. i also found 6 broken wires under the fuse box, but with no luck after fixing. thanks to all and hope i can get this going soon.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:47 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

try a different PCM.

doesnt the one forn the 95 have a diffrenet connector?

Old 08-24-2009, 06:26 AM
dohc97neon

yes, the 95 has a different connector, im going to use the 97 sohc. im going to check for more broken wires on the rear driverside head of the motor since i heard they have a problem melting by the egr valve.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Failed crank position sensor, or failed cps wiring on the engine harness.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:38 PM
dohc97neon

confirmed that the computer is fine by trying it in the sohc car. can you explain to me the proper way to test that part of the harness and if it was failed would this be causeing no power to the coil? im not worried about the pump, not even sure if that is good, i just want the motor going before i pull it and put it in my sohc car to make sure its fine. thanks

Old 08-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Does the fuel pump prime when the key is turned to the "on" position?

The CPS is just above the oil filter location. Visually look for any electrical tape in above the sensor connector. This would hint to any frayed wiring, or poor splice job. May be easier to remove the connector from the sensor to do this. Also get another sensor from the yard, and swap it out. This sensor is about $70 new, so let's be sure before dropping the coin.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:29 PM
dohc97neon

motor doesn't have any compression on two cylinders so im just gonna give up on tracing wires. thanks for the input though.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Ralphen
Default Neon 98 same no power problem

Hey Guys: I'm new to the site, and I'm having the same headache with a Manual tranny 98 neon with Double cam. I repaired the head gasket., and now i have cranking but no spark. I bought new cam and crank sensors and even tried a new coil. There's no power to the middle wire in coil. When I put switch on, I have power in injectors (that goes away like is supposed to with shutdown relay) and I get 12v to wires in the coil but nothing in the middle wire. When I crank the power in coil wires goes down to 7 and 3v. I traced all main wires for continuity, even from the cps and cam sensors. I followed these wires all the way to the computer. I tried two other used computers. I think my pcm is no good, and someone told me that the pcm has to have the same numbers or it won't work. Is this true?

I am about to give up, but I still want this car to come to life, I put too much time in it. Can anyone help out!!

Old 10-01-2009, 03:05 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Are you getting any error codes at all? Do the key dance and write down the 2 digits blink codes on the CEL. Have Advance/Autozone do a ODB-II reader code check on the port inside your car.

I had the same problem in that I had no fire on my center coil pack connector wire, and had replaced the CPS about 3 months before that with a new one, but sure enough, I had an error code 11 on my PCM and when I changed out the sensor, it immediately fired up.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Ralphen

I have no codes at all. I read that many codes are not given unless the car has been on at least a couple of times. I bought new CPS and Cam sensor, and tried with a new coil. The old coil and the new one did not have much difference in the readings when I check for resistance according to the Haynes manual. I will check again with other used computers, but the problem is I don't want to buy a 200-350 dollars new computer. I keep posting later on.

Quick Reply: no spark, no fuel..