1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

oil blowing out air filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:56 AM
sjsjbb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil blowing out air filter

iv looked through all 450ish post and think i have some clues . oil is not in coolent or vise versa. oil just drips out air cleaner used 4-5 qts going 60 miles. 30 one way and back 30 miles white smoke blowes out breather hose that goes to the air cleaner heaver when reved up. my only car for work so i need help fast cant afford to take off work.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:22 AM
ScottyP

to me it sounds like a bad head head gasket or bad valves. check the pcv valve also i have had them go bad and do what you have going on.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:47 AM
sjsjbb

thanks. if head or gasket was bad wouldnt it get in oil or water? looked at pvc and it rattles like it ok.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:20 PM
ScottyP

thats why i also mentiond cracked head there have been some pretty weird head gasket failers out there im sure.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 PM
slo_neonRT

they sell a kit we use at my work alot it works really good for checking blown head gaskets iam sure u can pick it up at any part store just ask for a head gasket leak kit or somthing like that iam not sure of the actual name but its really easy to use joe blow can do it if the blue liqued turns to a green color ur head gaskets mest up u might wanna try that if u havnt fixed ur problam

Old 09-24-2009, 11:58 PM
slo_neonRT

u should take the hose from ur valve cover to ur air intake system off and see if oil is coming out of ur valve cover when that tube is not conected hats about really the only thing that i can think of that is alowing oil to get to ur actual air filter theres no other way i dont under stand how a head gasket or cracked head would allow oil to blow out of ur air filter but crazy things do happen but u should try that and see wut happens let me no i would like to no wut ur problam is

Old 09-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Bryan
Amateur

I had this problem on a ford 302 engine, it had blow by that pressurized the crank case and as the pressure was passing through the oil ports up toward the valve cover, it carried oil out through the pcv valve.
Or at least I think that is what was happening... anyone else seen this...?

Old 09-27-2009, 02:19 PM
sjsjbb
Default still not fixed

still trying to fix. cleaned engine up some to try to see if its comming out somewhere else .trying these ideas to see what happens will post results later . would doing a commpression check tell anything with valve seals or just rings. car starts and drives great and runs good just keeps blowing out oil. tryed putting hose to airfilter in a botttle and it would fill up with milky oil. thinkl condensation turned it milky cause no oil in wateror water in oil.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:19 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Bad valve seals will cause oil to be burned as oil will get into the cylinder - that will make the car smoke like a tar baby all the time - everywhere you go, but you won't find oil in your air filter with this problem.

A compression check is a really good thing to do and is very cheap (or free). If you don't have a long rubber hosed compression checker tool, you can borrow one from Autozone, Advanced, O'Reillys etc. Pay a deposit, use it, return it, no cost. This will tell you mucho information.

Low cyl pressure readings (even if barely in spec) across all 4 cyl. will indicate bad ring wear. Bad rings increase cyl blow by which increases pressure inside the crankcase, which will push oil into the oil separator - thereby giving you the results you are seeing as too much oil in the oil separator will get sucked into the throttle body, air filter, etc- especially as you rev up the motor - which increases pressure even more, etc.

I suspect that this is your problem, and unfortunately, the only fix for it is to a) swap the motor with a used one from a junkyard, or b) rebuild the one you got. If you have a heavy coating of oil inside the throttle body and in the air intake hose that runs from the air filter to the throttle body, then way too much oil is in the separator. Based on your usage you mention, you should be able to hold up the air intake hose and watch oil drip/pour out of it.... The throttle body and air intake probably look like "smokers lungs" and be full of oil too. If you remove it, I bet oil will pour out of it too.

Now other problems indicated by a compression check will show up as low pressure in one or two cylinders only (usually side by side). This can indicate several possible problems. Bad valves (not sealing well). Bad head gasket, cracked/warped head, or just bad rings in the affected cyls.
Again, the only real fix for these problems is a lot of expensive work.

Do the compression check and let us know what you find - don't leave us hanging....

Old 09-29-2009, 09:38 AM
sjsjbb
Default checked commpression

did test and all cylenders were low would range from 70 then gou up some . then something started rapping real bad in lower part of engine. im going to drop in another engine if i can find one. i live in pa. new castle . and info on installing would help have changed engines before on other vehicles . wondering if there is some tricks on these ones. thank for all info really helped alot. can travel some if someone has engine or know where to get one thanks again

Quick Reply: oil blowing out air filter