1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Atx to Mtx swap help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 04:05 AM
Relentless2.0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atx to Mtx swap help

I have a 97 sohc auto neon and I want to convert it to Manuel. I'm rebuilding my motor with 10.5:1 wiseco pistons on eagle rods an since I'm there I want to make the trans switch. What all do I need? I want to keep it sohc. Will I need to get the PCM from the car I get the trans? An what els should I get?? Or should I stay auto. I'm gonna be running nitrous to. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:40 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

You need all the manual shifting guts inside the car - both the clutch and brake floor pedals, clutch cable, brackets, bolts, switches. You also need to get the two shift cables, switches, brackets, and the manual shifter along with the proper center console. I don't know if the cars are pre-wired for either one, but I would get as much of the original wiring as I could JIC.

Yes you need to get a manual PCM as the one you have is for an automatic. If you don't switch, you will have issues with the CEL being on due to having the auto torque converter lockup error code being thrown.

You may have an issue with the VSS speed sensor being in the wrong place and not having enough wire to move it to the new location, so be prepared to mod the wiring harness.

I believe the tranny itself will need a new mounting bracket as I believe the brackets themselves are different - even though the core rubber mount is the same.

I am fairly certain that you are going to both CV's from a manual as the ones you have now are for the auto and I don't think the manual and auto CV axles are the same.

You should also get the heavy duty racing clutch as if you are going to put that much oooommph into the engine, you don't need to wimp out on the clutch and put in a standard one and end up chewing it up.

Last edited by bg1995redneon; 11-30-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:31 PM
ottoretto
Professional

well i made the swap, im using stock atx pcm, the car wont start for the park sensor, yu most to make a bridge or use it on the clutch pedal (like me), the wiring are the same, just need to find the plasctic pinion, have to buy the passenger drive shaft, the trannys dont need any brackets, all are the same!, but the manual tranny have an shock absorber on the back its better if u improvise or buy some protane motor mounts!

Old 12-01-2009, 03:14 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Not sure about NOS, but that is a bump in compression for running boost. You cold have achieved very similar compression numbers by using stock dohc pistons.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:59 PM
08kgraves

hey ottoretto, i have a 97 dodge neon..... and i want to do a manual swap in it. any way you could post a list of everything i will need to get and will need to do? pics of parts would help alot to if possible

Old 12-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

1G neon clutch pedal assembly
neon/pt clutch
1G cable transmission
clutch cable
mtx mount
bobble strut
5sp pcm
1G shifter cables
56speed shifter

As for transmission fluid, Redline, Amsoil synchromesh,or Pensoil Synchromesh are better and cheaper than Mopar fluid.

It is all plug and play.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 PM
ottoretto
Professional

yeah, thas true, the pcm is not necesary, u can use the stock pcm

Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 PM
w103rtm
Default 95-99 Dodge Neon ATX to MTX swap: online manual

Hey I'm just replying to a lot of threads on this topic. Check out my website which covers the vast majority of steps required to swap an ATX neon into an MTX.

http://www.w103rtm.freevar.com

Quick Reply: Atx to Mtx swap help