1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Installin a Tachometer hard?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 04:08 PM
casper
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installin a Tachometer hard?

ORIGINAL: 95neonracer

Ya it comes with instructions. But i bought mine from a friend, so i went down to autozone to make sure i did it right. (I wiggled the inst. out of another tach) LOL But really though i only hooked mine up to one side of the coil and it works fine.... unless your sopposed to idle at 2000.
Most need a full signal, yours must be different.

Old 06-12-2005, 05:34 PM
95neonracer
Rookie

quote:

Ya it comes with instructions. But i bought mine from a friend, so i went down to autozone to make sure i did it right. (I wiggled the inst. out of another tach) LOL But really though i only hooked mine up to one side of the coil and it works fine.... unless your sopposed to idle at 2000.

WOW! my mistake I just realized i didn't hook it up to the actual coil, i just hooked it up to a wire on the wire harness connected to the ignition coil. I apologize for any confusion.

Old 06-15-2005, 10:07 PM
casper
Legend

quote:

WOW! my mistake I just realized i didn't hook it up to the actual coil, i just hooked it up to a wire on the wire harness connected to the ignition coil. I apologize for any confusion.
Yeah thats the wire from the pcm.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Zanko

Originally Posted by RadarLove
If you've got a '96-up Neon, it's maybe a 30 minute job. Pop up the dash, remove the instrument cluster (4 screws?), tap into the wires you need for power (at the defrost switch), lights (if needed, also at the defrost switch) and tach signal (grey wire with light blue tracer at pin 7, jumper 2 behing the cluster). Put it all back together.

'95 models that didn't come with a tach don't tend to have a useable tach signal at that wire (less than 1%), if there's even a wire there. You'd have to use a MSD tach driver or something similar. Adding the tach driver adds a good 5 minutes to the task...

Best of luck!

Is the grey with blue located on the harness that runs through the fire wall? or the one in the engine compartment?

Old 04-03-2010, 09:45 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man you revived and old post!!! The wire is behind the cluster under the dash. That is where you want to tap into it at.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Behind the dash is everything you need.

On the left harness is the light connection. Tap into the orange wire. (white wire)

The other three connection are on the right side:

The blue/white wire is for the key-on power (red wire)

The thinner blue/gray wire is the tach signal (green wire)

The black wire with the orange stripe is the ground (black wire)

Quick Reply: Installin a Tachometer hard?