1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Installin a Tachometer hard?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 03:07 AM
harrowneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installin a Tachometer hard?

I was checking out some tachometers lately and they look sporty..even though i got a automatic and dont really need it..add's some style to ur ride..

my buddy happend to be lookin up them today and he said it looks pretty hard..

i was just wondering is it like a couple hour project or longer?

Old 04-13-2005, 05:56 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: Installin a Tachometer hard?

If you've got a '96-up Neon, it's maybe a 30 minute job. Pop up the dash, remove the instrument cluster (4 screws?), tap into the wires you need for power (at the defrost switch), lights (if needed, also at the defrost switch) and tach signal (grey wire with light blue tracer at pin 7, jumper 2 behing the cluster). Put it all back together.

'95 models that didn't come with a tach don't tend to have a useable tach signal at that wire (less than 1%), if there's even a wire there. You'd have to use a MSD tach driver or something similar. Adding the tach driver adds a good 5 minutes to the task...

Best of luck!

Old 04-13-2005, 06:59 AM
casper
Legend

depends on what tach you get. I picked up a $40 tach off ebay and it works. No install kit or problems, but its a POS. You can wire any tach in, I would suggest getting a Mopar or Autometer, sometimes cheap is not always better.

Old 06-08-2005, 05:32 PM
95neonracer
Rookie

NO WAY IS PUTTING A TACH ON HARD. I got a faze tach. from a friend and the hardest part was just drilling the holes to hold the damn thing. LOL. it was hard for me though cause i installed it on the window piller and i had to match up the plastic with the metal underneath and run the wires through it. You just hook three wires up. One a ground. One a 12volt to you fuse box. And one to your spark plug coil. Its that easy.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:59 PM
casper
Legend

What was the point of bringing up an old thread with no new info? And on the neon if you hook to the coil wire you will only get a half signal because of the dual coil pack. Hence wiring to the grey wire with the blue stripe from the PCM.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:53 PM
nitroneon

i'm glad they did cause i'm hookin mine up today, but the longest part for me was mounting it cause its molded into the dash

Old 06-09-2005, 06:26 PM
95neonracer
Rookie

And on the neon if you hook to the coil wire you will only get a half signal because of the dual coil pack.
Wait a sec...... are you saying i may be getting a half signal???? Tell me more about this cause my tach doesn't seem to be having any trouble.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:11 PM
casper
Legend

The neon uses a dual coil pack. 1 side for 2 cyl. the other for the other 2. You can't connect the pick-up wire directly to the coil, you have to connect it after the pcm, the grey wire with the blue stripe. If you don't you will read about 2000 rpm at 4000 rpm.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:36 AM
BDigital2000

when you buy a tach, does the tach come with instructions on how to install it?

Brent

Old 06-10-2005, 02:56 PM
95neonracer
Rookie

Ya it comes with instructions. But i bought mine from a friend, so i went down to autozone to make sure i did it right. (I wiggled the inst. out of another tach) LOL But really though i only hooked mine up to one side of the coil and it works fine.... unless your sopposed to idle at 2000.

Quick Reply: Installin a Tachometer hard?