1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:42 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know. I have heard that people do it, but have yet to experience problems without doing anything like that.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 PM
thecause17
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been driving for a good month now on all the new parts, the front brakes seem fine, the passenger side piston was cracked, so I'm thinking that was my problem up front. No more leaks with the new master cylinder, BUT I can't seem to shake this pulling problem with the rear brakes.

I don't know what it could be. I took everything apart today and looked it all over again, and I have everything in the proper places, all the springs are fine it seems. The brakes seem to be adjusting, both sides were right out to the drum surface when I removed them. There are new drums, shoes and wheel cylinders on it. I don't know what else it could be.

I'm ruling out the hydraulics entirely. It also still pulls when I pull the e-brake. It still gets worse as the brakes get hot. I could see it being the e-brake cables themselves if it only did it when engaging the e-brake, but could they be a factor as well even though the problem persists under regular braking?

There are hardly any more components I can think of to replace other than the e-brake cables and all of the springs. This problem is starting to get really annoying. This car is very mechianically sound other than this, and at 67k miles I shouldn't have this type of a problem in my opinion.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:17 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

try replacing the rubber hoses the go to the Caliper to the brake lines. sometimes the corrode on the inside and collapse, even though the outside looks fine. This causes the fluid to be traped between the caliper and the clog. while everyone thinks the calipers are sticking it is just a build up of pressure inside the lines.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:10 AM
thecause17
Veteran

Originally Posted by DOHCgarrett t3
try replacing the rubber hoses the go to the Caliper to the brake lines. sometimes the corrode on the inside and collapse, even though the outside looks fine. This causes the fluid to be traped between the caliper and the clog. while everyone thinks the calipers are sticking it is just a build up of pressure inside the lines.
You got it, that's exactly what it ended up being. It was the driver's side front brake line. The caliper was not working properly in either direction, so when I applied the brakes it pulled to the right, and when the brakes were released it wasn't releasing compltely either. The car even feels better just coasting and accelerating. It easy to tell now that the caliper was sticking before.

My milage on the tank before fixing the line was 24mpg. After replacing the line my milage jumped to 28mpg. Same roads, driving habits, and even filling up at the same pump. I also had a high idle issue that develeped right before the first tank. I finally had time to look at it after that second tank and found a cracked vac line between the PCV and the intake mani. I replaced that and this past tank I hit 30mpg.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Quick Reply: Brake problems