1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

99 neon won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:35 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That or the bendix is locked up and not turning properly. Either way, take it to a parts store and they will tell you what is wrong for free.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 PM
terry s

Originally Posted by bg1995redneon
That or the bendix is locked up and not turning properly. Either way, take it to a parts store and they will tell you what is wrong for free.
If the solenoid does not click when power is applied to the small terminal the solenoid is not working. If the bendix (starter drive) is locked up and the solenoid is working it will grind when engaging the flywheel. Or if the bendix is slipping when the solenoid kicks it into the flywheel the starter motor will not turn the engine over.
The auto store can test to see if the solenoid is working and kicking the bendix toward the flywheel and see if the starter motor runs. Unless they have a way to load test (which I doubt) they can't tell if the bendix is working correctly, or if the motor has enough power to turn the motor over.
The best you can do to test the bendix yourself is with a large screw driver. You should be able to turn the gear on the bendix one direction but it should not turn the other direction. However you can't put enough pressure on it to truly see if it slips when it tries to turn the motor over.

Last edited by terry s; 03-02-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:56 PM
tabadboy

Well guys just an update.I took the starter to a local rebuilter and he rebuilt the starter and solenoid for $38.I put it back on today and my son is driving it tonight.While I had it apart I notice that the gear cables were only sitting on the shifter arms.The bushings were completely gone.I made some bushings out of fuel line.I put a washer on top and locked in with an e clip works great.This is the way I did the bushing on the shifter at the console about two years ago and still holding.Again THANK YOU for all your help and glad I found this site.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:19 PM
terry s

Glad he is on the road again. Sounds like you got a deal on the starter rebuild.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

That is great! There are not too many places left that rebuild starters, and I am glad you found one locally. My dad lives in an area where there used to be 4 of them, and now, none are left. A dying art to be sure.... That is why I did not suggest one of them, as I did not know any were left.

Quick Reply: 99 neon won't start