1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

99 neon won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:12 PM
tabadboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 neon won't start

My sons 99 neon/manuel won't start.I think its the switch on the clutch not engaging.I put a new battery in it and everything comes on.It act just like when you try to start it without pushing the clutch in.Is there a fuse on it? He said it died on him twice on the way home it just turned off.It cranked back up and he made it home but now it won't start.Help me please Well I change the starter relay with the horn relay and no difference.I can hear the starter relay clicking when I hit the key but thats all.Im use to working on chevys and I would say its the solenoid if it was a chevy.Could it be the solenoid?

Last edited by tabadboy; 02-24-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 PM
terry s

If you hear the solenoid clicking it is getting power to the solenoid. It sounds like the solenoid is not making internal contact to make the starter run.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:07 PM
tabadboy

Actually I can't hear anything.It won't do anything.I checked the clutch safety switch its working.I put a meter on the wire down at the starter that kicks the solenoid and had someone turn the key.It show that it was getting power.Im not sure what to try next but Im thinking its the starter.Its $122 new or $25 used so I may try a used one and see what happens.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 AM
terry s

If you have power to the small wire on the starter when you turn the key but nothing happens then the solenoid is not working. The solenoid is just an electromagnet. When it activates the plunger inside moves and makes contact between the battery cable and the starter motor. At the same time it pushes the gear on the starter drive into the flywheel.

If you can find one you could just replace the solenoid but if you do take the old one off and hook some jumper cables directly to the starter motor to be sure it runs. Depending on the age/condition of the starter and the cost of the solenoid you have to decide if you want to spend money on a solenoid as an old starter may give up soon. But that is the risk with a used starter also.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:48 PM
tabadboy

terry s thats what Im thinking cause of getting power to the wire when I hit the key.
The car belongs to my son and if I spend $122 I will never see it again.lol, Im unemployed right now thats the only reason I was thinking used.Before its all over we will put a new one on it.Thanks for the reply and the help.Thats what I like about this board someone always helps out.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:20 PM
terry s

Depending on your experience & skill leve. You can take most starters apart to check the brushes, sand the commutator and put some oil on the bushings.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:26 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

You can take the starter off fairly easily and take it to almost any parts store and they will test it and tell you if it is good or bad whether or not you buy anything or not.

When I replaced mine, I took out the battery and box, removed the electric fan, and removed the car front motor mount. That gave me plenty of room to get my hands and tools in so that I could get the old one out and the new one in. Of course, you can do it without doing all of that, but it takes more time and effort - in my opinion.

Then, you go to just about any local junkyard and get a used starter and take it to the same place and test that one. Most junkyards will allow you to bring it back if it doesn't pass, but you need to ask before you buy it just to be sure.

You should be able to find one that will work fairly easily and cheaply if that is what it is.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:42 AM
terry s

Good advice on getting it tested. Remember that when thet test it if the solenoid is bad and will not work that does not mean the starter motor is bad.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:52 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by terry s
Good advice on getting it tested. Remember that when thet test it if the solenoid is bad and will not work that does not mean the starter motor is bad.
True, but good luck finding just the selenoid as most parts stores replace the whole schebang with the lifetime warranty and don't stock just the selenoid anymore - they may be able to get it by ordering it, but don't hold your breath and you'll likely pay almost as much for it as getting a whole new (reman'd) one.

Also, I don't know of any junkyards that sell just the selenoid either as they would rather sell you the whole schebang too - and since you can take it and get it tested as a set, why bother? Now if they will sell you just the selenoid, you would still need to put in on the old starter motor and get it tested, BUT, if you can save a significant amount (and that pain threshold is up to you to decide), then it is an option.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:34 PM
tabadboy

Thanks for the replys.Im pretty good at working on cars so doing the job won't be a big promblem.So ya'll think it is the selenoid?When i hit the key and it showed I was getting power at the seneoid wire I figured the selenoid is dead.

Quick Reply: 99 neon won't start