1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

N2O

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 07:31 PM
ClearD
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: N2O

...HEY! I've raced a 16 y/o kid with a riced out civic before...blew his doors off...kinda sad actually...

Anyways, just since I've done my homework, here's something else to consider (in my own words):

Heat is an engine's worst enemy, right? Well, a turbo uses heated air, while nitrous oxide exits the bottle in a liquid-frozen state at 26 degrees fahrenheit. Don't ask me how I know that, I just do. That is my simplest reasoning as to why nitrous shouldn't hurt an engine. Granted, yes, it makes the bigger combustion and compression, but with the right setup, shouldn't be that bad to your engine. The way nitrous works is this: Nitrous is composed of 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen in its pure state, but that can vary depending on the age of the nitrous and how good the supplier is. Basically, the more oxygen your a/f mixture has, the more it will be fully combusted. In a sense, also, you can make metal catch fire with a constant stream of oxygen and a match. It's THAT important. So, when you're injecting this N2O into your engine, the heat from the engine breaks it apart into 2 nitrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. The oxygen burns with the fuel, and the nitrogen combines to make N2 and is harmlessly ejected out of your exhaust. The only problem, as radar stated, as I see it, is the horsepower after about the 225 region. Now, I REALLY don't know that much about turbos, so please don't kill me for it, but...aside from the bottle refilling, doesn't this look like a respectable, cheap, alternative?

Again, that's just from me...[&:]

Old 05-09-2005, 03:37 PM
ClearD
Professional

ok, new question...what would a person have to do to prepare a neon engine for Nitrous? I've heard about making the a/f richer, but I've also heard it runs rich anyway...is this something that needs done? Also, if it does, how is it done? Will anything else need done as well? [&:]

Old 05-09-2005, 04:44 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Heat is the turbos worst enemy. Clear D the part of where the turbo uses heated air as a bad thing just bothers me....the exhaust gas expelled is hot no matter what. Its not a bad thing because thats what spins the turbo. The turbo is a great power adder a lot better then Nitrous and a lot easier to apply to a neon then you think. The turbos is actually an air compressor that pumps the compressed air into the cylinders and the air compressed is still dense like the NOS application. Only the air is cooled by the intercooler and the turbo has an air intake side that you can actually get a type of intake to help pull in more air. The air is pulled through the intercooler where it is pulled into the engine cylinder where it is then expelled out the exhaust into the turbine wheel where it spins the turbine wheel or impellar which is where the exhaust gas is discharged. As long as your car stays at the atmospheric bar rate even if it is for the most part stock it is still safer on your motor then NOS. NOS has to have a lot more upgrades b4 you really should even run it and b/c it raises your compression a lot more then most power adders it can easily make your car internals heat really quickly if the right fuel air ratio isnt used. Detonation happens as well. Nitrous, turbos and superchargers all have their faults but a lot goes into the building of them all. Nitrous is the cheapest in the sense of installation but refilling the bottle every time you got to race is going to eventually cost as much as a turbo anyways. SO if it were me id be starving myself just to get the car parts so i could go fast... And a neon is an og civic slayer and it doesnt take much we have more hps from the factory and we have stronger internals and connecting rods then a civic

Old 05-09-2005, 04:51 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Actually refilling a bottle of nawzzzzzzzzz can be cheaper if you get it refilled at a paintball store....dont laugh now the co2 is what is normally used but you can actually use n20 on em which is really funny cuz its easier for me to N20 from a sporting goods store then it is to find around my state at an import shop :LOL:

Old 05-09-2005, 09:06 PM
ClearD
Professional

hahaha nice so, now I know a little more about turbos ok, another question...could I get a used turbo from a junkyard for $600 or less, as that is about the standard N2O rate? Mostly, I'm only worried about price, as I am already a starving college student [8D] and there ARE a lot of junkyards in my area, so...hmmmmm...I've also heard that some late 90s Eclipses and Talons use the same 420A engine...could I get a turbo from one of those? thnx for replying, too, highrevr/tflea

Old 05-09-2005, 11:07 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

D00d you can find a used turbo for a hundred dollars at least where i live ....fortunately the demand for em isnt as high since the days of the turbo dsms for now are over. The only people buyin em up are tuners which still are very rare since most are going aftermark anyways. But the talons and eclipses w/ 420s have no turbos its the 4g63ts only that carry the turbos in em and they bolt up just fine as long as you buy turbo cast header and down pipe it will bolt just fine. The 1st gens are a lot bigger of a turbo the 2nd gen runs a t25 which is smaller but will still work.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:09 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

The only difference between the 1st and 2nd gen is the 6 bolt and 7 bolt and fmic or smic.

Old 05-10-2005, 12:51 AM
chud298
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: RadarLove

Right, cheating... Your nitrous education came from TF&TF and 2F2F, right? Do you really think that pushing a button is all that's involved? You just go online, type in your credit card number, and PRESTO, a magic bottle and button appear inside your car giving you an extra boost of power whenever you want it? Most real-world nitrous systems are activated by a WOT switch, not a button on the steering wheel. A properly designed nitrous system will take as much time and effort as any worthwhile mod - harder than a CAI, easier than a clutch swap. Then there's the tuning issue. The folks that "blow up" their engines with nitrous are the same ones that would blow up their engines with high compression pistons or a turbo system because they are too lazy to do some simple tuning. You are aware that nitrous oxide is not flammable or explosive, right?
I wasn't saying anything like installation is easy, I think it does take some knowledge to be able to hook it up. So you're telling me that you know how to make everthing perfect so the n2o won't blow. It may not be flammable or an explosive but it is under pressure and it is combustable. That stuff is as reliable as a nuclear reactor that's running hot.

Drag racing an atx is cheating... anyone can press a pedal to the floor. Racing with slicks is cheating, anyone can change a tire. Any more brilliant statements we want to add?
Those are completely opposite of what I was saying. You still need knowledge to make your car fast if it's a atx, actually you'd probably have to know more to get it faster than a mtx, racing with slicks is needed if you're really into it, so I don't know how that came up

As I always say..."You're on the bottle...bottles are for babies"

Old 05-10-2005, 04:24 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: highrevr/tflea

The only difference between the 1st and 2nd gen is the 6 bolt and 7 bolt and fmic or smic.
7bolts were available in the 1gs as well (starting in either 92 or 93, i forget which)
and no eclipse/laser/talon came with a fmic

the biggest turbo any eclipse/laser/talon came with, was the 14b turbo. while this turbo isnt too bad (max around 300 crank hp?) i would skip it altogether and go straight to a 16g.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:14 AM
95SOHCNeon

id say the best kit would probably be the nitrous express kit.... if your gonna use nitrous you might wanna put new piston rings in and maybe a new cam.... and possibly new pistons. just a thought though. even though nitrous is cold it is extremely flammable and will f**k up your engine if not used properly.