1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

N2O

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 07:57 PM
ClearD
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N2O

ok, just out of curiosity, what's everyone's standing on nitrous oxide? does it work with neons? and, if so, what's the best kit? also, is it worth it, or should you just get a turbo?

remember: basic NOS=$600 turbo=$3000 (give or take on both)

Old 04-27-2005, 10:45 PM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: N2O

ORIGINAL: ClearD

ok, just out of curiosity, what's everyone's standing on nitrous oxide?
great bang for the buck
does it work with neons?
sure does!
and, if so, what's the best kit? also, is it worth it, or should you just get a turbo?
not sure what the "best" kit is tho.
is it worth it? yep. nice bang for the buck.
should ya just get a turbo? turbo would be better really, but for a cheap alternative, nitrous works quite well
remember: basic NOS=$600 turbo=$3000 (give or take on both)
just keep in mind that the turbo will have power available at all times, turbo wont need a bottle refilled every so often.. and turbo is legal to have on your car (at least, in most states) while nitrous is illegal

Old 04-27-2005, 10:48 PM
ClearD
Professional

awesome

Old 04-27-2005, 10:50 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had a 2.0 liter engine with a 55 wet shot Zex kit, and it was very nice, and without a bottle heater, i got excellent wear out of the gas...it may be on my RT soon, but with a bigger nozzle.

Old 04-29-2005, 06:12 PM
ClearD
Professional

noice...should I go wet or dry?

Old 04-29-2005, 06:20 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

always wet..dry is much easier...but wet is safer...if there is such a thing as safer nos..

Old 04-30-2005, 01:44 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah definately wet

Old 04-30-2005, 02:05 AM
ClearD
Professional

aight...I think I'll try it, then.

Old 04-30-2005, 01:30 PM
chud298
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: SlowAssNeon

ORIGINAL: ClearD

ok, just out of curiosity, what's everyone's standing on nitrous oxide?
great bang for the buck
I'd probably have to disagree. First of all I think Nitrious oxide is cheating, anyone can push a button, just my opinion. Second, you take a HUGE chance of blowing your engine it's just not worth the risk at all. You blow it at the wrong rpm or if something just goes wrong you can be f***ed. Also when are you actually going to use it on the street???

Old 04-30-2005, 05:10 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Right, cheating... Your nitrous education came from TF&TF and 2F2F, right? Do you really think that pushing a button is all that's involved? You just go online, type in your credit card number, and PRESTO, a magic bottle and button appear inside your car giving you an extra boost of power whenever you want it? Most real-world nitrous systems are activated by a WOT switch, not a button on the steering wheel. A properly designed nitrous system will take as much time and effort as any worthwhile mod - harder than a CAI, easier than a clutch swap. Then there's the tuning issue. The folks that "blow up" their engines with nitrous are the same ones that would blow up their engines with high compression pistons or a turbo system because they are too lazy to do some simple tuning. You are aware that nitrous oxide is not flammable or explosive, right?

Drag racing an atx is cheating... anyone can press a pedal to the floor. Racing with slicks is cheating, anyone can change a tire. Any more brilliant statements we want to add?

For those considering nitrous, talk to the guys at Modern Performance about the NX kit AND the GenX add-on stuff for a safer setup. On the stock block, you aren't going to be able to put more than a 50 shot on realistically. That will keep the rods from bending and won't run away from the fuel pump. The Neon runs rich enough with the stock computer that a small shot isn't going to lean out anything too much. And the timing is fine as long as you aren't using a Mopar of AFX computer. Still, a trip to the dyno is worth every penny.

Bigger than that, you'll start looking at a progressive controller, better fuel pump, and ignition timing control. You can potentially run a pretty good size on the stock block, but pistons and rods are recommended once your HP is up in the 225 region, just like you would with a turbo. When all is said and done, a really nice nitrous setup is going to run a couple of grand, plus engine parts...

And as far as "using it". When are you going to "use" a turbo on the street? Or is it that important to prove to every 16 year old kid with a riced out Civic how fast your Peon is?

Radar out.