Neon Doctors can help ? 97 model with bunch of issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:21 AM
p3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Neon Doctors can help ? 97 model with bunch of issues

Yo,
I am still driving the 97 neon that i got in 2007 ish.

So its got bunch of weird stuff happening can someone help troubleshoot ?

1. Jerking (no does not ***) as in it jerks when switching gears, first gear pickup is the hardest jerk, even if i give more gas it seems to still jerk a bit as if the clutch is not responding or requires to be lifted more or something ? - One of my freind (via online help) said could be something called "throttling sensor " or something ?

2. Intermittently working speed sensor ! The speedometer goes to 60 to 0 in less than 0 seconds and all the sudden from 0 to 60 in another 0 seconds. It does however works fully without issue for the entire trip and sometimes it wont even work ! - Any ideas ? apparently my brothers old neon also had similar issue (i guess a flaw in neons of that era ? )

3. Well i think this is just a bad signal switch - but left turn does not work and sometimes the left signal green light on dash turns solid on application of brake. Can make the left signal unstuck but tapping on the signal turning mecanism (aka the turn stick ) - Any idea ?

If i were to go about fixing those issues, what would it cost me ? (hopefully not arms and legs)

Thanks

Old 04-19-2010, 02:42 PM
streetracer88
All Star

the cluster is shot (in other word the speedometer thing)just look for another one they are all plug in and play and they arent that pricey thats why the gauges work the way they do and the turn signal deal is relatively cheap look on ebay or at your local junkyard hope i helped you dont know much about the other thing sorry

Old 04-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Nuklhed074
Veteran

yeah the speedo problem and blinker are the cluster they were made in china deep down in a sweet shop of the cheapest materials my old one did the speedo thing my new one keeps the blinker on lol i got over it and the jerking could be a slipping clutch is it only under acceleration or at least is that where its the worst? if not could be the tps (throttle position sensor) but a good test is drive in second in the powerband apply the brakes and hit the gas at the same time if your rpms rise..its the clutch

Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 AM
p3
Rookie

Hmmm.. cluster thingy, i will check for more details on that and see if its replaceable easy by self (who is car noob aka myself)

What the hell is a powerband ?

"drive in second in the powerband apply "

The jerking is more at first gear stage, minor at second gear switch and barely noticeable in 3rd and higher. Even when i have high rev. on the first gear it will do jerking but at times will not jerk even though same revs and same clutch movement. Well i been driving standards for 5 years now and i doubt my skills are fading is the problem here

Nothing to do with timining belt ? I thought maybe this could be something to do with timining belt ?

thanks

Old 04-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

When was the last time you changed the plugs and wires?

Old 04-21-2010, 05:27 PM
streetracer88
All Star

i never replaced a cluster it is really simple tho just pull up on the dash cover take that out of the way then undo the screws that are around it and pull str8 out on the cluster then put the new one in the same way push it all the way down to make sure it sits right then put the screws back in then put the dash cover back on and push down on it all around and your good to go really simple but if you need help just ask one of us

Old 04-24-2010, 06:01 PM
p3
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ghost Neon 2
When was the last time you changed the plugs and wires?
Never i suppose not sure if the other owner did change them or not.

I do not have another vehicle to drive so do not know if i can affoard to take car apart and get stuck, i need it daily. been using it for close to 4 years now. Maybe i will take it in to a shop (the thing is there are no decent shops around here) and see what can be done.

Ride is so uncomforatable also cause i think the shocks are gone . had rear strut mounts changed a year ago cause of weird noise coming from the trunk .

Old 04-24-2010, 06:20 PM
thecause17
Veteran

The cluster is not necessarily bad. My original one would quit working occasionally so I upgraded to one with the tach. A few weeks ago only the speedo started bouncing around so I removed the gauge cluster.

I reheated all of the solder joints on the plugs. Most of them had stress cracks. I then checked out the joints for the connectors each individual gauge on the circuit board and found that one of them for the speedo had a broken lead. So I put a bead of solder from the lead to the board to bridge the connection and now it works like a charm. Easy fix, took about 10 minutes.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Nuklhed074
Veteran

the powerband is where your car starts to pull jus run it in second gear at about 3000 rpm or if you dont have a tach about half way through the gear.. and hit the brakes but stay on the gas your car should slow down and rpms should drop..if they rise the clutch is slipping and bad needing replaced.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Check the spark plugs and the wiring to the VSS.

Quick Reply: Neon Doctors can help ? 97 model with bunch of issues