1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Help...Water pump/timing belt problem??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help...Water pump/timing belt problem??

Hello Forum. First I wanted to say thanks for many past replies that have saved me money on repairs. I now have a new problem. My stepdaugher has a 1995 Neon with approximately 120K on it. On a recent trip home from college she said she felt a small jerk then could not accelerate anymore and had to pull over. The car was basically dead. She said she tried to restart it but got nothing, no clicking noise just silence. She did say that she had power though. The radio was still working as were the lights. After further conversation she told me that she recently took the car in because it was leaking antifeeze and the mechanic told her that her water pump was leaking. The mechanic told her that as long as she watched her fluid levels things should be ok. (Had she called to tell me this I would have told her not to drive the car until we got this issue resolved). Anyway, I know the water pump and timing belt go hand and hand on this car so I'm wondering if you all think that the timing belt broke? My first thought was the alternator was bad but when she said she still had lights and a radio, I ruled that out. Is the car toast or can it be repaired if it is the timing belt? Or could it just be the water pump? I thought the car would still turn over if it was just the water pump. Please help! Thanks!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Neongreg88
Rookie

the motor could be junk some can and some cant bepends how it blow and a water pump wouldnt do that and if she felt a lil jerk or a pop that was the timeing belt and the car wont start.... all u can do it change the belt and do the water pump while ur at it and new belts my bloe on my car and i was doin 85 mph my motor was fine

Old 04-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Thanks. I'm going to start getting quotes to replace the water pump and timing belt. My guess is that I'm looking at close to $500.00. It's something I just can't do myself.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Neongreg88
Rookie

u cna do it ur self all u gotta do is get a timeing gun and and look up the time specs

Old 04-24-2010, 09:34 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Neongreg88
u cna do it ur self all u gotta do is get a timeing gun and and look up the time specs
Dont need a timeing gun you just line up the timeing marks.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:40 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Crash Test Dummy
Thanks. I'm going to start getting quotes to replace the water pump and timing belt. My guess is that I'm looking at close to $500.00. It's something I just can't do myself.
IM just curious as to why you think you cant do it yourself.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Neongreg88
Rookie

i did my timing with a timing gun worked fine

Old 04-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Crash Test Dummy

DOH, I just don't have the time, the tools, or the garage. I wish I did because I like working on cars. I can usually handle the small stuff. The larger stuff I just can't. I just got my first quote back and it's pretty ugly. They want to charge me for a diagnosis (which is pretty funny since the car won't run) but it says it will also assess any possible internal engine damage such as bent or borken valves, damaged pistons, etc. How can they do this test if the belt is broke? Does the thermostat need to be replaced also? I just did this not too long ago. I can see why it pays to be able to do this yourself.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

well you dont need a garage but you do need the tools and with the ugly quote I am sure you can buy the tools to do it yourself for a lot less than the quote and the special tool you will need you can usualy rent for free. ( you pay a deposit and get it back when you return it)

off the top of my head you will need:
A Jack
2 jack stands
good socket set
a tiny allen wrench to place in the hole of the hydrolic tensioner
and a pully puller.

and when your placing the belt back on it is good to have an extra set of hands but I have done it without.

if you get the Gatorback set it gives you a set of directions when replacing the timing belt. Follow the directions to a T if you plan on doing it yourself.

as for the possability of bent valves should proably pull the head too and have someone remanufacure it or buy a good used one. you will need a torque wrench to retighten the head bolts.

common sizes are a 8, 13, 15, 18, and a 19mm for the wheel lugs.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:06 PM
DeathKnight

If the timing belt broke or slipped chances are good that the pistons cracked into the valves. It's an interference engine so keeping the timing belt in good shape, intact, and free of any fluids is pertinent. Depending on what happened you're probably looking at a job a little more involved than just replacing the timing belt and water pump.

Quick Reply: Help...Water pump/timing belt problem??