1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

High Pitched squeal when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:25 PM
cyclebiff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Pitched squeal when accelerating

Help! I have a 1998 Dodge Neon, Automatic, 115k miles.

Starting yesterday, any time I drive above 25 mph (higher rpms), a progressively high-pitched "squeal" or "whine" starts and gets higher and higher pitched... If i let off the gas or put it in neutral, the whining "winds down". It does not stop and is consistent. It is LOUD!

We checked all fluid levels, brakes, everything looks good. The only thing we didnt check were belts.

Any suggestions before I'm forced to take this in? The transmission was rebuilt at 80k miles, so I hope it isnt that...

Old 04-27-2010, 06:27 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Yeah. Check the belts (alternator and AC/PS) because it sounds like you got at least one slipping.

Then, if the belts are tight (or are tightened by you) and you still hear it squeal, then you may have one of three things going bye bye and you need to check it out.

1) Are you running the AC? If yes, then the clutch when it kicks in can squeal like a pig when on, and if the clutch bearing is bad, then it can squeal bad all the time. Replace the AC compressor - unless you can still find someone who will sell you just the AC Clutch......

2) You checked the PS fluid right? If yes, then the Power steering pump could be going bad. Even full, a bad bearing or pump will holler - hey to the Ford Plastic POS PS pump for an example....

One quick and dirty way of finding out if it is AC or PS (or just the belt) is to take off the belt and see if the squealing goes away. The car is a little harder to drive, but not that hard without the pump.

3) Your alternator could be starting to go bad. You can really tell if it is that (or just the belt) by turning everything on and if it really starts hollering. You can even for an extremely short time take off that belt and crank the car to see if the noise goes away, but don't do it long or you will kill the battery!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 PM
cyclebiff
Default thoughts?

Originally Posted by bg1995redneon
Yeah. Check the belts (alternator and AC/PS) because it sounds like you got at least one slipping.

Then, if the belts are tight (or are tightened by you) and you still hear it squeal, then you may have one of three things going bye bye and you need to check it out.

1) Are you running the AC? If yes, then the clutch when it kicks in can squeal like a pig when on, and if the clutch bearing is bad, then it can squeal bad all the time. Replace the AC compressor - unless you can still find someone who will sell you just the AC Clutch......

2) You checked the PS fluid right? If yes, then the Power steering pump could be going bad. Even full, a bad bearing or pump will holler - hey to the Ford Plastic POS PS pump for an example....

One quick and dirty way of finding out if it is AC or PS (or just the belt) is to take off the belt and see if the squealing goes away. The car is a little harder to drive, but not that hard without the pump.

3) Your alternator could be starting to go bad. You can really tell if it is that (or just the belt) by turning everything on and if it really starts hollering. You can even for an extremely short time take off that belt and crank the car to see if the noise goes away, but don't do it long or you will kill the battery!
BG,
The only thing I left out is that the sound is coming from the driver-side engine area -- From what I can see all the cables are on the passenger-side of engine area. Any thoughts?

Last edited by cyclebiff; 04-27-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 04-28-2010, 03:25 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Yeah, you could also have some wheel bearings going bad. The tranny could be making the noise - most likely from the torque converter, the cv joints, you could also have break pads dragging and if they are worn, squealing.

There are even instances where the PCM will squeal like a pig, I know because I have one that does it when I really dog it, but I only hear it squeal when I stop and turn off the car, open the hood and put me ear to it.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:31 AM
coneon

I am having a similar problem but my noise is when I am at idle and stops as the engine speeds up. I assumed it was a belt problem so I replaced them but the noise keeps coming back. Do I need a special tool to tighten the Alternator belt?

Old 05-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Skeletonman

My neon did this, the end of the shaft on the transmission, right behind the driver side wheel, ground right through th plate and destroyed the transmission. That plate is bolted on so you may be able to remove it and see if the gear on your transmission is loose,

Old 05-19-2010, 12:50 PM
cyclebiff
Default Sigh, it WAS the transmission.

Originally Posted by Skeletonman
My neon did this, the end of the shaft on the transmission, right behind the driver side wheel, ground right through th plate and destroyed the transmission. That plate is bolted on so you may be able to remove it and see if the gear on your transmission is loose,
Ding ding ding.

This is what happened. It was stupid of me not to take it in right away (it could have been rebuilt).

Anyway I had it replaced with a brand new one. Reason:

After a long day at work, I found myself broken down on the 198 East enroute to Porterville California in a 1998 dodge neon on Cinco De Mayo. It doesn't get much more Mexican than that.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:42 AM
d46313neon
Amateur

lmfao sorry for ur loss

Quick Reply: High Pitched squeal when accelerating