1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

leaky transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:39 PM
tabadboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah there's no plans to drive it.She has a friend that is letting her use a Honda accord till she gets some money.So the neon will probably be sold.You guys are great with all your replies and help.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:54 PM
tabadboy
Default update

Will i took the car to the shop yesterday.He called me back and said when he pulled the pan there was metal in the fluid.He said he could rebuilt it for $900.I told him i only paid $300 for the car and did not think it was worth putting that much money in it.He said he could put the new seal on for $378 but i did not think it was worth spending that if he is telling me the trans is not gonna last.He charged me $150 to put it back together,So now we are looking for another car for her.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:35 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

could always look for a used trans with lower miles that you know works. would be the cheapest. or buy another neon of the same year and motor that way you always have parts.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:14 AM
mopar_man1970

http://www.pullapart.com/ i dint know if you are lose to a junk yard but here is a link to a good one i use here in north Carolina.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:35 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Absolutely man! Get a used tranny from a junkyard with as few miles on it as you can. Should run you no more then about $400~$500 and the guy should be able to put it in for you in about an hour or two, so for less then $700, your car could be back on the road.

If you think the motor is in good or decent shape, that may be your cheapest bet. Buying another $500 car may put you right back where you are now with a different set of problems. Your call, but if the car is in decent shape, and the motor is in decent shape, then I would definitely consider it. No, you will probably not be able to sell the car and get back what you put into it, BUT, if you can drive it for a couple of years, it would pay for itself in that time........

Last edited by bg1995redneon; 11-15-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:03 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by tabadboy
Will i took the car to the shop yesterday.He called me back and said when he pulled the pan there was metal in the fluid.He said he could rebuilt it for $900.I told him i only paid $300 for the car and did not think it was worth putting that much money in it.He said he could put the new seal on for $378 but i did not think it was worth spending that if he is telling me the trans is not gonna last.He charged me $150 to put it back together,So now we are looking for another car for her.
BTW, I don't want to look like a vulture, but if you decide to ditch the car, let me know. If you don't live too far from good ol' Huntsville, AL, and the car is physically in good shape (meaning it isn't a rust bucket, all banged up, or completely shot interior), I might be interested. I want another project car to work on, and I like working on Neon's, so ........ Just to be fair though, you could probably part it out and easily get back the $300, and then sell whats left for scrap metal and be ahead of the game. Post some pics.

Quick Reply: leaky transmission