1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

leaky transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:23 PM
tabadboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaky transmission

My daughters 95 neon has started leaking trans fluid.I think its the front seal is this hard to fix or should i take it to a shop.Would it be very expensive?She does not have a job right now so guess who has to pay for it.

Last edited by tabadboy; 11-13-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Taking the tranny out is the big issue here.

You have to undo the two front cv half-shafts (left and right) which means that when you are done you will need a front end alignment.

Then you have to support the tranny and undo the block to tranny bolts along with the tranny mount to frame. There are a lot of steps I am leaving out, such as removing the battery, battery box, air intake system, diconnecting and moving the PDC and wires to PCM, disconnecting the heater hoses, etc. etc. but they are explained step by step in the Haynes manual.

Once out, it is easy to replace a seal if that is what the problem is. While you are replacing the front seal, replace the transaxle seals too. Why have them go bad later on when you can get a threefer.....

If there is a way to do it without pulling the tranny, I don't know it. So, how mechanically inclined are you? It is a big task for someone who has never done any major engine work.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

You first need to verify exactly where the leak is coming from.

If the transmission is leaking from an axle seal, you do not have to remove the entire transmission to replace.

Drain the fluid, remove the axle , remove the seal, install a new seal, and done.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:05 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by Ghost Neon 2
You first need to verify exactly where the leak is coming from.

If the transmission is leaking from an axle seal, you do not have to remove the entire transmission to replace.

Drain the fluid, remove the axle , remove the seal, install a new seal, and done.
Agreed. IF the problem is a transaxle seal issue. BUT...what about the seal behind the torque converter? If oil is coming out of the front of the tranny by the motor, then most that seal has gone bad.

And you are not done once you pop off the axle and replace the bad seal. Even if you do or do not have to remove the tranny, if you pop off the CV halfshafts, you have to align the front end because your toe and camber are most likely going to be off. People forget that quite often, and wonder why tires don't last very long.

Last edited by bg1995redneon; 11-04-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:29 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

If you dont mess with your tie rods, your alignment won't be off.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:45 PM
tabadboy

I looked at it today.It is coming from inside the trans by the flywheel.i had one quote of $375.My daughter is not working right now so its gonna have to wait awhile.Thanks alot for the replies.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

well it should be alright for awhile. just make sure she keeps the trans topped off and teach her how to check the fluid levels with the engine running. Also, make sure she knows that it is a specific type of fluid that goes in there.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:44 PM
tabadboy

Originally Posted by DOHCgarrett t3
well it should be alright for awhile. just make sure she keeps the trans topped off and teach her how to check the fluid levels with the engine running. Also, make sure she knows that it is a specific type of fluid that goes in there.
I wish that was the case but it leaks it out pretty quick.I put two quarts in it and it leak it out within 3 miles.it will have to set untill we have the money.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:38 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

If it leaks out 2 quarts in 3 miles, then you are not going to be able to drive it for long as the lack of fluid will eat up an auto tranny very very fast. Are you sure you are not overfilling it? You are checking the tranny's level with the car running in park on a level spot with the engine and tranny already warmed up right?

I am going to assume that you are. If you leak out 2 quarts in 3 miles, then your tranny won't last 300 miles. I hope your daughter doesn't drive more then 5 miles a day. Either you replace the seal, or you will end up buying a used tranny to put into it.......your call. I know which one is cheaper.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:50 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bg1995redneon
If it leaks out 2 quarts in 3 miles, then you are not going to be able to drive it for long as the lack of fluid will eat up an auto tranny very very fast. Are you sure you are not overfilling it? You are checking the tranny's level with the car running in park on a level spot with the engine and tranny already warmed up right?

I am going to assume that you are. If you leak out 2 quarts in 3 miles, then your tranny won't last 300 miles. I hope your daughter doesn't drive more then 5 miles a day. Either you replace the seal, or you will end up buying a used tranny to put into it.......your call. I know which one is cheaper.
I don't think he is planing to let her drive it at all. although if it is leaking that much maybe the trans is cracked, just a thought?

Quick Reply: leaky transmission