1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

supercharger question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 01:18 AM
BDigital2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger question?

how much airflow should a supercharger have, in cubic feet per minute to be effective? and what kind of psi comes with those numbers?

Brent

Old 06-11-2005, 03:57 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: supercharger question?

4 cyl cars do not do good with a supercharger. Use a turbo.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:41 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

A LOTTA 4 CYL CARS DO GOOD W/ SUPERCHARGERS....Opel/Cobalt/S2000/Celica/Civic/Prelude/Integra an Neon wouldnt do too well, b/c all of the belts would really be hard to get to and the clearance is terrible You basically need a lotta motor space.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:55 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Supercharger efficiency is just like turbo efficiency. Just because it flows xxx cfm at xxxx rpm does not mean it corresponds to any particular psi.

Superchargers rob power from the crank to add air to the engine for more power. Turbos get free wasted energy from the exhaust to do the same thing. Turbo's make so much more sense than a supercharger for that reason alone. There's the argument of "instant power" going around. But let's think about it... front wheel drive, power shifts to the rear on launch, front tires lose traction, wheels spin, guy next to you with a turbo is 3 car lengths ahead before you hook up and is already at full boost...

Best of luck!

Old 06-15-2005, 11:18 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, i just gotta step in here..

highrevr/tflea is right, there are MANY 4cyl cars that do quite well with a supercharger.

as for your comment about losing traction at the line radarlove, have you not seen many turbo cars do the same thing? i have. heck, most of the turbo neons ive seen launch have quite bad traction problems off the line..
i think you need to look at some dynos of supercharged 4bangers.. the cobaltSS/ion redline dynos would be the perfect example of how a 4banger works on sc. the power isnt as "instant-on" as many are led to believe.

also a comment about turbo and "free wasted energy"
think about how you make more power with na... by making the intake, AND exhaust flow better.. correct? so, exhaust is hardly "wasted" really.. as it really is a factor in determining power levels. by tossing a turbo in there, you do lose some power due to blocking the exhaust a bit, but this power loss really hasnt been able to be measured accurately unlike belt-driven superchargers.

that said, yes, turbo is generally the better choice for a power adder.. but superchargers arent bad either.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:50 PM
casper
Legend

I have not heard of any superchargers being made for the neon. Nor have i heard of it being done.

Old 06-18-2005, 07:30 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Contrary to common belief, the majority of work done on a turbo (energy going in, making it spin) is due to heat (enthalpy), not pressure. Once a turbo is fully spooled, there is no additional backpressure created. Turbine theory is turbine theory. I did steam turbines for 9 years. My turbines made over 1 million ft-lbs torque

Sure, turbo cars have traction issues. So do nitrous cars. So do most cars on street tires.

Superchargers are just the current marketing ploy. Makes people think of muscle cars. Next we'll start seeing "Mag" wheels and mismatched sized wheels/tires (bigger in back) on compact cars.

There have been a handful of Neon supercharger projects. The Junkyard Dog comes to mind, even though that was on a V6... There was an article in one of the Mopar mags on a guy with a custom made Eaton setup. Don't think he even topped 200 HP.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:13 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Still 200 HP supercharged or not is a feat in itself for a stock 140 I4. But ive never seen or heard of a supercharged neon or 420 talon/eclipse. isnt the EATON the same one on the ss cobalts? Or is that Paxon?

Quick Reply: supercharger question?