1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

95 neon spits sputters then dies when warm

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:26 PM
duaneob1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 neon spits sputters then dies when warm

hello everyone.
i am new to this forum and would like to take a moment to introduce my self, im a proud owner of a 95 neon sport, 2.0 single ohc, 99000 miles, runs good, until it warms up then it looses power, spits incesantly, then dies. wont start unless i let it cool down for about five minutes, then will start strong and die again shortly after. pulgs and wires have been changed, new timing belt, new egr, new cam sensor, new headgasket, any help would be greatly appreciated, i really like this car and hope i can find this problem and resolve it, seems to be a pretty strong little thing. first dodge by the way and its nice while it runs good. i was told a crank sensor but i cant see that do to the fact it would happen all time time, at least i thought. any advise for a neewbe thanks for taking the time to read my post i will be checking on it everyday.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:22 AM
grimreaper8069

I did a crank sensor and didn't help. Also did fuel pump and still didn't work. Still having same issue

Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 PM
duaneob1

Originally Posted by grimreaper8069
I did a crank sensor and didn't help. Also did fuel pump and still didn't work. Still having same issue
Has anyone tried the tps? Maybe it is loading,up the cat and causing it to plug up when it gets to hot, just an idea, also does anyone know if your able to remove the cat completly on these vehicles?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:48 PM
whitefeathertx

Sure can. My 1995 Neon hasn't had a cat on it since I got it. Runs fine. But we put an eliminator pipe on it so we can get it inspected every year. Then it comes home & the cat comes right back off.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:19 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

NO: 18-04-96
SUBJECT: Erratic Idle And MIL Illuminated
DATE: Feb. 16, 1996
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO ALL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 2.01 ENGINES BUILT PRIOR TO NOVEMBER 1, 1995 (MDH 11-01-XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Loss of performance and/or Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) illuminated (indicating failed TPS) and/or erratic idle.

DIAGNOSIS:
Using the Mopar Diagnostic System (MDS) or the Scan Tool (DRBIII) and the appropriate Diagnostic Procedure Manual, verify that all engine systems are functioning correctly. If Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s) other than DTC "MIL 24" "Failed Throttle Position Sensor" are present, record them on the repair order for future reference and repair as necessary.

Check the throttle body part number against the throttle body part numbers given below. The throttle body part number can be found on the side of the throttle body by the vacuum purge nipple. Figure 1

Throttle Body Part Numbers:

If the vehicle DOES have one of the throttle bodies listed above, the throttle body assembly should be replaced. These throttle bodies were built without an O-ring seal that prevents moisture contamination. The superseded part number for the replacement throttle body can be found by entering the part number found on the existing throttle body into the parts ordering system.
If the vehicle DOES NOT have one of the throttle bodies shown in the list above, refer to the repair procedure below for throttle position sensor replacement.
NOTE: IF THE THROTTLE BODY IS TO BE REPLACED, IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO REPLACE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR. THE NEW THROTTLE BODY WILL COME EQUIPPED WITH THE UPDATED TPS AND REQUIRED O-RING.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Quantity
Part No.
Description

AR

Throttle Position Sensor, SOHC (PL, JA)

AR

Throttle Position Sensor, DOHC (PL, JA)

AR

Throttle Position Sensor, SOHC or DOHC (FJ)

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the throttle position sensor and o-ring, or the replacement of the throttle body.

THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR REPLACEMENT:

Remove throttle position sensor from the throttle body by removing the two attaching screws. The attaching screws should be discarded. Replacement screws will be provided with the new throttle position sensor.
Remove the o-ring from the throttle body casting and discard.
Lubricate the new o-ring provided with the new throttle position sensor. Apply one to three drops of a light grade of vegetable oil and allow excess to drain off.
CAUTION: DO NOT USE ENGINE OIL, IT WILL NOT PROPERLY LUBRICATE THE O-RING.

Install the o-ring into the groove in the throttle body.
CAUTION: DO NOT INSTALL THE O-RING ONTO THE NOSE PILOT OF THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR OR DAMAGE MAY OCCUR.

Quick Reply: 95 neon spits sputters then dies when warm