1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

What carbureted motor will fit in a '95 Plymouth Neon

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:01 PM
whitefeathertx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What carbureted motor will fit in a '95 Plymouth Neon

I was wondering if anyone knew what front wheel drive, carbureted, motor will fit in a 1995 Plymouth Neon? I am getting SICK of this thing getting hot & just shutting off going down the road. You drive it about 80 miles, stop somewhere for a while, get back in it, & it only goes about 5 miles & then just shuts off. Wait a few minutes & it will crank & run for a few more miles. Does the same thing again. So, I want to put a carbureted motor in it. And preferably one with a 5 speed tranny. I know how to work on them! Thanks for all the time & help.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:17 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

First thing I would check is the wiring going to the crank sensor. and here is a TSB that may help?
NO: 18-04-96
SUBJECT: Erratic Idle And MIL Illuminated
DATE: Feb. 16, 1996
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO ALL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 2.01 ENGINES BUILT PRIOR TO NOVEMBER 1, 1995 (MDH 11-01-XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Loss of performance and/or Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) illuminated (indicating failed TPS) and/or erratic idle.

DIAGNOSIS:
Using the Mopar Diagnostic System (MDS) or the Scan Tool (DRBIII) and the appropriate Diagnostic Procedure Manual, verify that all engine systems are functioning correctly. If Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s) other than DTC "MIL 24" "Failed Throttle Position Sensor" are present, record them on the repair order for future reference and repair as necessary.

Check the throttle body part number against the throttle body part numbers given below. The throttle body part number can be found on the side of the throttle body by the vacuum purge nipple. Figure 1

Throttle Body Part Numbers:

If the vehicle DOES have one of the throttle bodies listed above, the throttle body assembly should be replaced. These throttle bodies were built without an O-ring seal that prevents moisture contamination. The superseded part number for the replacement throttle body can be found by entering the part number found on the existing throttle body into the parts ordering system.
If the vehicle DOES NOT have one of the throttle bodies shown in the list above, refer to the repair procedure below for throttle position sensor replacement.
NOTE: IF THE THROTTLE BODY IS TO BE REPLACED, IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO REPLACE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR. THE NEW THROTTLE BODY WILL COME EQUIPPED WITH THE UPDATED TPS AND REQUIRED O-RING.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Quantity
Part No.
Description

AR

Throttle Position Sensor, SOHC (PL, JA)

AR

Throttle Position Sensor, DOHC (PL, JA)

AR

Throttle Position Sensor, SOHC or DOHC (FJ)

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the throttle position sensor and o-ring, or the replacement of the throttle body.

THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR REPLACEMENT:

Remove throttle position sensor from the throttle body by removing the two attaching screws. The attaching screws should be discarded. Replacement screws will be provided with the new throttle position sensor.
Remove the o-ring from the throttle body casting and discard.
Lubricate the new o-ring provided with the new throttle position sensor. Apply one to three drops of a light grade of vegetable oil and allow excess to drain off.
CAUTION: DO NOT USE ENGINE OIL, IT WILL NOT PROPERLY LUBRICATE THE O-RING.

Install the o-ring into the groove in the throttle body.
CAUTION: DO NOT INSTALL THE O-RING ONTO THE NOSE PILOT OF THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR OR DAMAGE MAY OCCUR.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:15 PM
whitefeathertx

Well, we have just put a new crank position sensor on it today. Don't see how the throttle body has anything to do with it. It only does this after it gets to about 87 to 90 & above degrees outside. As long as it's cold, it runs fine. And if you try to crank it back after a couple of times shutting off, it won't crank back at all. It just spins. We have a new cam sensor on it too. It keeps throwing the code that says, timing slipped a tooth or the cam or crank sensor were not detected. And how do you check that much wiring? There's only 40 miles of it & it's wrapped in tape. Any who, thanks for the help & if you do know of a FWD carbureted manual that will fit in this car, let me know. I am sick of computers & electronic parts! I luv my car, "Spot", but I don't luv this problem. Thanks for the time & help.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:53 PM
whitefeathertx
Default RE: Carbureted motor for Neon

The question is simple....WHAT CARBURETED, 2.0 L, 4 CYLINDER FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ENGINE WILL FIT IN A 1995 PLYMOUTH NEON??? That's ALL I want to know! Not how to fix it, just what carbureted motor will fit in the stupid little car.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:06 PM
SteelNinja

You can convert your motor to carb but it is going to cost you much more than fixing the issue. But to answer your question....there is no carbed moror that will bolt right into your neon. Not without extensive work and cost.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:23 PM
SteelNinja

Not to mention, depending on where you live, it may be against the law to swap to a carbed motor....just saying. On top of that a fuel injected motor is easier to tune, will always make more power and will always run better.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whitefeathertx
The question is simple....WHAT CARBURETED, 2.0 L, 4 CYLINDER FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ENGINE WILL FIT IN A 1995 PLYMOUTH NEON??? That's ALL I want to know! Not how to fix it, just what carbureted motor will fit in the stupid little car.
Pull the engine, measure the cubic feet in the empty engine bay. Then you can see what engine will fit in the stupid little car.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:00 AM
me696979
Rookie

Lol this post gets funny

Quick Reply: What carbureted motor will fit in a '95 Plymouth Neon