1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1998 Neon MPG increase

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Trialmaster
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not bother at all. You get a low dollar car, and you still want to save money.
If it whas me, I would traid it for a manual, our just buy a bike LOL
Your auto trans is killn your plans man!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:15 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Just go with the basics. Cold air intake, injector service, tune up, and fix anything wrong with the car. Keep the brakes adjusted properly, tire at the right air pressure, good alignment, maybe some mpg tires. Don't run thick metal, under drive pulley, A/C or P/S delete. That's all I can think of right now.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 PM
loganp

I just figured out when you said MTX swap you mean manual transmission. I have never heard auto or manual referred to as ATX or MTX, I was thinking MTX was some brand of aftermarket PCM, no wonder Google asked me if I was retarded haha I have not done fuel injector cleaner yet, that needs to be on my to do list. Since I bought it, I had all the fluids flushed and replaced, fixed the leak in A/C line, put 2 new tires on it (front ones were bald, rear ones looked almost new, don't think previous owner believed in rotating tires), and new filters. I suppose I'll start looking at a few aftermarket parts, I will build my own cold air intake (I built the compound turbos on my Cummins, this can't be as hard), might look into the throttle body if that's what you guys think is best bang for the buck. Yes I am a farmer, my family raises 6,800 acres (about 2,750 hectares) of wheat. We had an excellent harvest this year which took place back in July and August. We are trying to plant next year's crop right now, but it is really dry which is making for less than ideal seeding conditions, which may hurt yields next year. Thanks again for the info guys!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by loganp
I just figured out when you said MTX swap you mean manual transmission. I have never heard auto or manual referred to as ATX or MTX, I was thinking MTX was some brand of aftermarket PCM, no wonder Google asked me if I was retarded haha I have not done fuel injector cleaner yet, that needs to be on my to do list. Since I bought it, I had all the fluids flushed and replaced, fixed the leak in A/C line, put 2 new tires on it (front ones were bald, rear ones looked almost new, don't think previous owner believed in rotating tires), and new filters. I suppose I'll start looking at a few aftermarket parts, I will build my own cold air intake (I built the compound turbos on my Cummins, this can't be as hard), might look into the throttle body if that's what you guys think is best bang for the buck. Yes I am a farmer, my family raises 6,800 acres (about 2,750 hectares) of wheat. We had an excellent harvest this year which took place back in July and August. We are trying to plant next year's crop right now, but it is really dry which is making for less than ideal seeding conditions, which may hurt yields next year. Thanks again for the info guys!
Bigger throttle body wont really help much for what your running. Money would be better spent on something else. If your looking for more top end power it may help out a little.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Trialmaster
Professional

Originally Posted by I_Ride_Neon
Just go with the basics. Cold air intake, injector service, tune up, and fix anything wrong with the car. Keep the brakes adjusted properly, tire at the right air pressure, good alignment, maybe some mpg tires. Don't run thick metal, under drive pulley, A/C or P/S delete. That's all I can think of right now.
Yea, you have some good points here, I Ride Neon
I would done the same. Actually, as a dd, a Neon auto, is not that bad. I generaly like autos, that have comfort over the street killin mtx.
Hey, Loganp, you can make some E85, if you have som over production of corn
If so, you can buy a E85 tuner box at www.change2e85.com
Its working nice

Old 10-12-2012, 04:44 PM
ReDRockStar

im just a recent buyer of a 95 mtx dohc cpe myself and learning all the kinks as well. got any pics of the car? Mine is green....and I'm not a fan of green cars, I take it your's is white?

Old 10-12-2012, 06:50 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I am not 100% on this but I dont think the stock neon injectors will support E85 because they are to small and the fuel pressure is static at 48psi. Bigger injectors or the "spool boy mod" with a rising rate regulator might be enough fuel to run e85. For example. On my srt-4 to run e85 I would need 750cc injectors (over the stock 550cc) and a rising rate regulator to bring the fuel pressure up in WOT to support the e85.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Trialmaster
Professional

The fuel box for E85 holds the injectors open for a longer period a time. So you do not have to use bigger injectors
i have used it for almost a year, and it works just fine, even in a cold winter. It allso have a coold start funktion.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:53 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Trialmaster
The fuel box for E85 holds the injectors open for a longer period a time. So you do not have to use bigger injectors
i have used it for almost a year, and it works just fine, even in a cold winter. It allso have a coold start funktion.
It working fine and it working fine while safe for the motor are two different things. What were the widebands readings??? I am sure you could do anything in the world to a car. But I am more interested it what your suppose to do, and whats safe for the car. I dont think a dodge neon with stock injectors at static 48psi will support e85 past 4k rpms. Injectors can only go to 100% duty cycle, and with regular gas they are not far off from that. Plus there are other things about e85. Like some components cannot hold up to e85 like the sending unit, rubber hose, fittings, seal, and so on. On top of that e85 actually burns much faster. So you will be filling up much earlier. If you switch to an alternative fuel, the car should be tuned by a professional.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Trialmaster
Professional

In 2000, they baught a chevy taho, and drive it 100.000 miles over 10 years, just with e85.
After that, they split the engine and fuelsystem. No unusual wear what so ever.
Cars from 95, have good enough rubber, to handle e85. Its out on youtube.

Quick Reply: 1998 Neon MPG increase