1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

neon wont start did start before getting fire

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 03:29 PM
mirandaneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neon wont start did start before getting fire

ok so to start, i have a 95 sohc, it started draining the battery so at night i would disconnect it and then just reconnect it in the morning befor i went to work. then a few days ago, it started spittin and sputtering upon start up. to it home, and it wasnt giving a strong spark to cyl4. so i put new coil on. then it wouldnt start. so i put old coil on, and now it wont start at all. i read the no start fsm. so i changed the crank sensor, and that did nothing so i put a new cam sensor on and that did nothing either. its getting spark to the plugs(new coil baack on), and gas but still no start. only thing i can say now is that all 3 plugs at the coil are grounded. the green wire will go positive when i prime the fuel pump then goes back to negative. annd when i crank it doesnt flash, maybe could say it dims, but is doesnt flash.

so what should i see when i otest the old sensors with the ohm meter? should all three of the wires at the coil connector be grounded?

no CEL
and in fact i tried to do the key dance, and got no cel to come on at all.
does this mean my computers fried?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 PM
mirandaneon

fuel pressure is 48psi and when connecting tester light from neg terminal of battery to grn/orng (center wire) of coil it comes on for fuel pump prime, and stays on when cranking.

and from pos terminal to outer 2 wires, it flashes when cranking stays on when not. checked all fuses and relays. any help would be nice?

Old 12-29-2012, 04:14 AM
me696979
Rookie

Originally Posted by mirandaneon
fuel pressure is 48psi and when connecting tester light from neg terminal of battery to grn/orng (center wire) of coil it comes on for fuel pump prime, and stays on when cranking.

and from pos terminal to outer 2 wires, it flashes when cranking stays on when not. checked all fuses and relays. any help would be nice?
Have you checked to make sure its getting compression? Because if your getting fuel and its firing i would think it would start

Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 AM
mirandaneon

taking it in to get compression ran today. we only have 1 mechanic in town and he has had 3 cars this month he couldnt figure out why they didnt start. so im really relying on this website

Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 AM
me696979
Rookie

I see well if its a compression problem it could be a headgasket or if it is far enough out of time it wont start and these engines if they get far enough out of time they can bend the valves if you can i would check the timing

Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 PM
mirandaneon
Default compression test done

ok we got the compression test done 1-4 is 130 160 145 135. while we had the spark plugs out, we went ahead and checked for a code and i got code p0505 scan tool said iac google confirmed and so i will add one of these on really quick... dont think this will cause a no start issue, but i will see....as of now though she just cranks and cranks. also noticed that when i pulled the fuel pump fuse under the hood, the coil stopped firing is this normal?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:02 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Yes this is normal for the spark to stop, fuse controls the ASD relay also I think. Check injector pulse. Compression numbers could be better. Did you do it correctly? All plugs out, fuel fuse pulled, gas to the floor, and crank. I did a compression test on a sohc today and it was 170psi or so across the board even with a bad headgasket on #4. 130psi is plenty enough for it to run, but there may be an issue causing the low numbers making it not run. Is the exhaust plugged, cat is bad?

Old 12-31-2012, 06:27 PM
mirandaneon
Default changed iac

changed iac didnt do anything, but the code is gone so i guess....also it cranks and cranks, then makes this puking sound out of the pipe that would connect to the intake he keeps telling me i have the wires crossed but there no way its 1234 1234 simple as can be. i will go pull o2 sensor and see if she will start

Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 PM
mirandaneon
Default still nothing

ok so we know the plugs are firing (they fire when touched to side of engine) all 4 so fire is good. gas is 48 lbs so its good. also a PIMA cause it keeps soaking the plugs. compression is fine not the best but fine. so whats next. he says its firing wrong and that he trust that the plugs are in the right firing order. he checked his book i told him you cant really cross the plugs. wires to short its to simple ya know 1234 1234 coil is marked. not that. what would make a mechanic of 40 yrs think its firing the plugs wrong. also he hooked up a vacuum gauge to where the hose for the brake booster attaches to the throttle body and says there's no vacuum...there should be vacuum. i dunno bout this I'm out of my league now. what do i do next???

also forgot took out o2 sensor and still nothing. i dont know how else to test if the exhaust is plugged but he said it would at least start or start to turn over it does nothing but cranks and then makes the puking sound out of the hose that goes into the air intake pipe.

Last edited by mirandaneon; 12-31-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Porscheguy

Crank, fuel, spark, and strange sounds...sounds like a timing issue to me.

Quick Reply: neon wont start did start before getting fire