1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 Neon DOHC won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 04:52 PM
alexhrrngtn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Neon DOHC won't start

Temp outside got below 0 early this week. Went out Monday morning to start my neon and it would turn over but would not fire up. I decided that maybe it was just too cold so I tried jumping it and it didn't get any closer to starting. I checked the injector rail to make sure that it was getting fuel to the injectors and sure enough fuel sprayed out. I trickle charged the battery and it didn't turn over any different than the initial attempt. The charger didn't tell me the battery is faulty either. If it turns over and gets fuel what else could be causing it to not start? I think it had to do with the cold somehow because the Friday before it was warmer and it fired right up no problem. I even tried warming up the battery inside while charging it and waiting for a warmer day to try again and still, it's no different than Monday morning. I'm really leaning toward no spark at all over anything else right now but that would mean that the coil pack just up and died on me or the battery is indeed faulty. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Last edited by alexhrrngtn; 01-10-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker
Default No start issues

First things first. You should hear a buzz sound before cranking the car. That lets you know the fuel pump is working.

Does your radio come on in your neon? This would let us know of poor connection somewhere. Could be a ground gone bad, or any other connection that has failed.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:45 PM
alexhrrngtn

I can hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key. The radio and all the lights work. I just bought a new battery just in case and its still the same. Could the coil pack go out all at once? Usually they just start to misfire I thought.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

There are lots of possibilities. to avoid wasting time and money, observation is the first course of action. New batteries die just like old batteries. The lights and such are working, but that does not prove anything on its own. The voltage of the battery while the car is off, and while cranking will rule the battery out.

When was the last tune up? Faulty/worn spark plugs will keep the car from starting also.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:15 PM
alexhrrngtn

Coil pack about a year ago, wires a little before that, and I put Bosch platinum+4 plugs in it about 6 months ago. I replaced the plugs at that time because the check engine light turned on and gave me a "misfire" code. What ended up fixing that was switching the plug wires from left side with the right side.

The starter is around a year and a half old.

Last edited by alexhrrngtn; 01-10-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Bosch +4 spark plugs do not agree with neons; any neon; stock or heavily modified. If you are looking to upgrade your neon that is fine, but research before buying. Cheaper that way. You should have this sticker under your hood:

RC9YC is the part number for champion copper plugs. Stick with those and you should notice an improvement. Also pick up a set of new spark plug wires. My car has some work, so I favor the granetelli spark plug wires from moderperformance.com. A stock car should be ok with a fresh set from the local parts store.

Attached Thumbnails 98 Neon DOHC won't start-img_20140111_222356_274.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 AM
alexhrrngtn

So you are saying that all 4 plugs just died all at once? Or did they cause a different part to break? What exactly are the consequences for trying those plugs?

Old 01-12-2014, 03:35 PM
ClaytonH
Rookie

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/neon-srt-4/18076-spark-plugs.html

Best plugs for Neons are the cheap champion or NGK. The ignition system doesn't work as well with the bosch 2,4+ or whatever they call them. Bosch and Dodge has stated so. It's just the way the coil pack works. +4's are ment more for distributor based ignition systems than coil based.

There was a debate in the above threat about it. You'll get as good if not better gas mileage and performance with stock plugs IMHO for less money. Just so long as they are properly gapped

Are you getting spark from the coil? Even new parts fail.
Find it allot easier to tell why a car isn't starting by hearing it. Can you post a video on youtube and put a link here?

Last edited by ClaytonH; 01-12-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by alexhrrngtn
So you are saying that all 4 plugs just died all at once? Or did they cause a different part to break? What exactly are the consequences for trying those plugs?
I am saying that you are using the wrong spark plugs in your car. The consequences, well your car isn't running for starters. I am not the one asking for help b/c my neon isn't running.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:37 AM
alexhrrngtn
Talking

Originally Posted by ClaytonH
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18076

Best plugs for Neons are the cheap champion or NGK. The ignition system doesn't work as well with the bosch 2,4+ or whatever they call them. Bosch and Dodge has stated so. It's just the way the coil pack works. +4's are ment more for distributor based ignition systems than coil based.

There was a debate in the above threat about it. You'll get as good if not better gas mileage and performance with stock plugs IMHO for less money. Just so long as they are properly gapped

Are you getting spark from the coil? Even new parts fail.
Find it allot easier to tell why a car isn't starting by hearing it. Can you post a video on youtube and put a link here?
After work tomorrow I'm going to check for spark from the coil and do a compression test. It's obvious that it is not getting spark because I just replaced the battery, cables, and starter so now it cranks over fast. The starter was getting weak anyway so I decided to replace it. I'm going to get the right plugs for it tomorrow also. I should have done some research before just buying what looked good. I just thought it would be weird for the plugs too keep it from starting after ive used them for so long already but hey, i'm probably wrong. Hopefully it is the coil pack that need replaced because I want an upgraded one anyway.

Quick Reply: 98 Neon DOHC won't start