1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

A/C Sqeals

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 02:19 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Sqeals

Ok when ever I turn on my A/C or even the heat and fan my belts sqeals, So im guessing the bearings on the A/C compressor are going out. today after turning a couple times it seemed like my power steering was going out, I checked the fluids and it was fine but I noticed that the belt had completely rolled over on the other side ( the belt that the A/C is on) so do I need to look into a new pump and P/S pulley? I checked the Power steering fluid and it was fine I do another check when the engine is cold, anyone have any Ideas any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:36 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A/C Sqeals

Check the tension on the belts.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:02 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

I did and I noticed the Power steering one flopped a little when ran, it could be tighter but I didn't think it would cause my A/C to do that, ill check that out tomorrow if I can get a hold of my friend

Old 07-02-2006, 05:00 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran

Correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty sure the a/c and power steering are run with the same belt. Theroetically, if you said the belt was loose then could be why the a/c seems as if its squealing? idk

G/L Sean

Old 07-02-2006, 05:18 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

yeah could be, ive recharged my A/C once before this year but earlier when it was just getting a little bit warm Id say in april and its june now and the A/C shouldn't have went to the temp it's at now even with outside temps, so that lead me to believe there was a leak somewhere that and the huge puddles under my car, plus when I recharged it the second time the huge puddles where still there and on the guage meter it didn't seem as if it was getting full enough which helped confirm my leak prob, after that is when the belt started to sqeal even when I turn on the hot A/C and even when I run the fans Im gona get it tightened up and go from there thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Old 07-02-2006, 05:21 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran

Well the puddles come from every vehicle man. Father just bought an 06 Sierra. After parking it with the a/c on, looks like the rad just busted open theres so much water. It just condesation, dont worry about it.

But now you mention the heat, maybe the squeal is coming from the alternator because the load is heavier on it when the heat or a.c is turned on and the belt isnt tight enough. I know my car has done that before.

Sean

Old 07-02-2006, 02:05 PM
tomthedog
Captain

the squeal is because the belt slips on the pulley. and yes it sounds like bearing going out. as we know the crankshaft is the drive pulley. the way a pulley works is it PULLs the belt to it (hard to push). so the greatest tension is between the crank and a/c. BUT newer type belts expand all life long (why most new cars use the serp set-up) i replaced my belt a month ago, tightened 4 times now and it's starting to squeal again, yes the bolts are tight and i put torque stripe on 'em. i now turn off the a/c at low speed, it seems to help my ears, good luck.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:54 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain

good info, the belt isnt very tight and needs tightend, the bearings are going out on the A/C and as for the the belt roling over it appears that the power steering pulley is bent ( like riding on rims to long) so that was causing the belt to flip along with it needed to be tightend more, I checked the alternator it held fine good thought though because I might not have figured to check that, not for a while after getting fustrated at least. I thought about just not running A/C but its to hot here and at some point later im gona want it anyways so why not just go ahead and take care of that while I can plus Id have to run a shorter belt and that wouldn't help because the P/S pulley would still be bent. Ive already removed the A/C and im waiting for a friend to get me the tool so I can get the parts I need and finish up the rest, Thanks for all the advice everyone , it helped confirm what I thought was going on plus led me to the bent pulley which was most likely due to the nice bump I hit when the city was working on the roads.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:38 AM
dogdaysunrise
Veteran

is the PS pulley bent? or the crank pulley? The PS pulley is near the top of the motor compartment and hitting a bump wouldnt bend it. If it is the PS pulley you should be able to knock it almost straight with a piece of wood and a hammer. If it is the crank pulley however, start junking for a new one. Your harmonic balancer is on that pulley and could cause a world of pain later.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:37 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

Ok so I replaced the A/C condenser, during installation i noticed that the P/S pulley's bolts could be tighter and also it had slipped down on the groves that the bolts where on which led me to the bolt holding it on has to be lose as well, indeed it was, i didnt have a crow bar laying around so I jut pulled up as hard as I could using a ratchet to go in the square hole, no sqeals and the A/C runs fine when I turn it on with no sqealing I did all this yesterday as I got tired of waiting on my friend to help, today I noticed some sqeal action, the blet is nice and tight and shows no signs of wear after letting it run after installation, the A/C doesnt sqeal at all when I turn it on but when I start the car sometimes it will, any Ideas?

Quick Reply: A/C Sqeals