1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

tips for getting crank pulley off

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:45 AM
dogdaysunrise
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tips for getting crank pulley off

Im just using the bolt from the crank pulley with threaded in about 5/6's of the way in. I just need to get it started. I snapped this last gear puller so bad I had to cut the jaws with the sawzall to get it off. I snapped it right at the base of the puller so I didnt even have something to grab on to with vise grips... This is killing me.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:13 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i assume that the puller you are using has corse threads?????...it would really help if you use a fine thread one....plus you said you had a torch???...let it heat it up for a while, i know you said its a small one, but let it cook for a while and it might help...
i really think it would be a bad idea to put it off and grind it down....plus it gonna take you a long time to cut through that metal

Old 07-06-2006, 11:19 AM
dogdaysunrise
Veteran

i just have a plumbers propane torch, I suppose I could leave it on for a bit. Do you have a link to the gear puller you have from snap-on? its time to go shopping.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:46 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: dogdaysunrise
Do you have a link to the gear puller you have from snap-on? its time to go shopping.
Snap-On
OTC

Old 07-06-2006, 03:57 PM
spudsterier
Legend

i like the snap-on....but the OTC is the same thing.....i forgot who carries the OTC...i think advance auto parts might, but im not sure who else...i know that auto zone rent them out for like 20.00..i think thats the price......i bought mine offa ebay for 65.00

Old 07-06-2006, 04:58 PM
NYG
Veteran

Is OTC a Brand?? I thought it was a MLA for Over the Counter?

Just need a quality 3 Jaw Puller.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:05 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

The 3-ton gear puller I first tried broke. Th 5-ton has worked fine several times. Both came from Autozone.

I wouldn't use th crank bolt threaded most of the way in, you risk damaging the threads. The passenger side motor mount bolt is the same threads but a god bit longer. Should work fine if it's threaded all the way in. I wouldn't use a 3/8" extension either (sticking issues abound), but I've used a 1/4" extension in a pinch.

Just a few idiot checks... the crank bolt is removed (it happens...)?, and you're using the puller with the teeth pointing in towards the crank on the inner ring, where there are indentations on the back for this purpose (some people try pullng on the outer ring for some reason)?

Best of luck!

Old 07-06-2006, 05:11 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: RadarLove
you're using the puller with the teeth pointing in towards the crank on the inner ring, where there are indentations on the back for this purpose (some people try pullng on the outer ring for some reason)?
I found that out the hard way also...Just wasn't paying attention and got too excited about getting the UDP on there

Old 07-06-2006, 11:51 PM
dogdaysunrise
Veteran

Yea, I was using a 3 ton gear puller. The jaws are inwards and the crank bolt is out about 5 threads. I am using it with the gear puller.

I guess Im just going to have to spend the money on a good puller... I will use it alot im sure anyways.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:40 AM
got magnum

went to advance last night rented some puller for 89.99 drive on the car came off fine with the help of the push rods helps out alot. but the magnum drive pullley is giving me a fit so i made longer pushrods at work, But what do you do went the tip of the puller is stuck inside the hole where the crankshaft nut goes please help can i cut the bolt down some or what please help

Quick Reply: tips for getting crank pulley off