1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

tips for getting crank pulley off

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 07:03 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: tips for getting crank pulley off

put the torch on it then....just dont melt the timing cover (i had that problem before)
let the torh sit on it for like 20 minuites

Old 07-10-2006, 06:28 PM
rrwertz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is actually a correct puller for this.

The puller can be rented from autozone.

Autozone part number 27139
I wouldn't even bother asking the parts monkey for a "puller for a neon" Just give them this part number, and even the most basic autozone droid should be able to find it for you.

You might be tempted to use the Autozone #27139 puller with the OTC6013/Miller #6827A puller insert mentioned lower down. Don’t.

I’d suggest trying a 5mm piece of metal of roughly the same diameter as the rods in the 27139 kit (based on the “4mm short” comment higher up), or a longer rod of the same diameter, if you can find one.

The hole in the crank itself is basically a larger diameter that narrows down in the final part after the pulley bolt ends. The OTC/Miller tool fits this perfectly. The Autozone extensions are the diameter of the final part only (not a problem).

The rods in the Autozone kit fit inside the kit’s hollow bolt. If you try to use the OTC/Miller extension, the Autozone bolt will begin galling. Was able to remove the stock crank pulley with that combo, but some damage to contact face of miller tool, quite a bit of damage to the contact face of the Autozone kit bolt (not sure if I’ll be able to return it under the loaner tool program, or if I just bought it).

The Autozone puller itself, aside from the short rod issue, is great; perfect fit in the indentations in the stock pulley, came off with no problems, using ratcheting breaker bar. Note both the spider “arm” section nut (visible in photo of kit) and bolt are 24mm (ie 24mm box wrench and socket are needed). I tried using a stick to keep the brake applied, but that slipped under load. Letting the 24mm Box wrench brace against the suspension A-arm worked fine. A rubber band around the puller arms helps keep it in place/centered until the bolt is tightened down.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:08 PM
das2123
Legend

^^^Nice cut and paste job

Give the credit to neonmike22!

Old 07-11-2006, 12:11 AM
spudsterier
Legend

thats like the puller i have....but snap-on....it says not to use an impact on it, but i always have and it still works great

Quick Reply: tips for getting crank pulley off