1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Compression

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 07:57 AM
HabitatHxC
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compression

OOOk So i was amped about my turbo kit im looking at (TOP SECRET) So i was inspecting and such with my car checking to see if anything was wrong wiht it. Well, i Checked my compression, and ALL the cylenders read about the same 150-155 ive heard there supposed to be 180. SO what could be giving me the low compression. Ive had my head off and ive cleaned all of the carbon off of the head and the top of the pistons and a new head gasket.. Sooo what could be the problem... if it even is a problem. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2006, 10:22 AM
neon.ace
Default RE: Compression

Did you do the turbo install yourself? If you did not the new head gasket probobly lowered your compression ratio to around 8.0:1 to 8.5:1 and that could be why you compression readings are coming up around the 150 range. Turbo kits when installed usually have a thicker head gasket installed to lower your compression ratio to prevent detonation and other catostrophic events that can occur to a forced induction engine.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:40 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

Aren't you supposed to have lower compression with forced induction, anyways?

Old 07-22-2006, 03:55 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NEONRT98

Aren't you supposed to have lower compression with forced induction, anyways?
YEP, to to prevent detonation as neon.ace said.

Old 07-22-2006, 06:28 PM
HabitatHxC
Captain

I dont have the turbo yet, but its still topsecret stuff. i will inform you all about it monday if i get it. But i did get the new head gasket with the aluminum center (i think thats the one) So that could be my deal?

Old 07-22-2006, 06:48 PM
tomthedog
Captain

i'm sure you don't have the old gasket, but what did it look like (if you still have the old one don't toss it)? i have no clue about the HG's but if you give a good 'nuff discription "MAYBE" DAS2123 can give you a thickness.

when you checked the compress was it before or after you pulled the head? any way it won't matter what max is ('cause YOU have ok press for a turbo), as long as it HOLDS press. what did the leak down check look like? if youwant to keep the car for 5+ years i'd go ahead and rebuild the rotating assy and the head before the turbo or you won't see any return when you sell it. good luck.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:03 AM
hemihead1

How many miles on the engine? Does it smoke at all? Did you notice a ridge on the cylinder walls when you pulled the head? You are probably just experiencing engine wear and the rings don't seal as tight as they used to. It is normal and nothing to worry about until it drops below 120 then you rebuild the bottom end!

Old 07-23-2006, 08:07 AM
HabitatHxC
Captain

Well First off i didnt get the turbo kit, because i was out bid too far on ebay. here it is for you DOHC guys. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

But My cylendar walls were snazzy, it was a while ago that i changed my head gasket (last summer) I didnt check compression then. My motor has 119,000 miles ans still runnin strong. Sooo ya The turbo is out of the question till i find a sweet deal like that again. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Compression