1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Gryphin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump

Anyone here replaced a fuel pump? If so how had is it? Also, how would i clean the injectors?

Old 07-25-2006, 06:34 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel Pump

What year is your car?

Old 07-25-2006, 08:35 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran

With the proper equipment its a snap.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:29 AM
NEONRT98
All Star

How can you tell your fuel pump is the malfunction?

As for cleaning the injectors, I just took them out and soaked them in a cleaner called B-12 Chemtool.. They work great now! When you go to do it, though, you *NEED* to replace the O-rings on them! Your local auto store should have them, you need 8 total..

Old 07-26-2006, 01:55 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

you can tell if you pump has gone out or not by checking for a sound when you stick the key in the ingnition as far as it can go without starting the car, I can only best describe the noice as a mildly deep bzz, like someone being buzzed into an apartment but just deeper. an easier way is to have someone open up the fuel door and listen for the noise or you yourself as the key is being turned hope some of that was helpfull and good luck !!

Old 07-26-2006, 04:07 AM
NEONRT98
All Star

You can try checking to see if there is pressure at the fuel rail, too!

Old 07-26-2006, 08:46 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

On the '95 (or '96 with the metal tank), you don't even have to drop the tank, just jack up the back and remove the rear passenger tire (and the filter cover plate). The toughest part was getting the outer ring off (use brass, you don't want to make sparks!). For later years with the plastic tanks, you only have to loosen the tank straps and drop the passenger side down, makes it much easier to put back in place.

If you're having fuel issues and have a car with the metal tank, try replacing the fuel filter first... it's supposed to be done every 35k miles or so.

Best of luck!

Old 07-26-2006, 11:38 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: FuzzRacer

you can tell if you pump has gone out or not by checking for a sound when you stick the key in the ingnition as far as it can go without starting the car, I can only best describe the noice as a mildly deep bzz, like someone being buzzed into an apartment but just deeper. an easier way is to have someone open up the fuel door and listen for the noise or you yourself as the key is being turned hope some of that was helpfull and good luck !!
Although this is true in most cases, I have seen where you do hear the fuel pump prime, but it still wasn't getting enough fuel to start. So just because you hear it prime, doesn't always mean it's good. Just some added info for y'all.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:26 AM
meshorte

Ok so heres the thing.. I have a 96..and no clue about cars except this one is killing me! So I tried to leave work on Thursday only to go out to my car turn the key and it wouldnt start. So I tried again. And it wouldnt click over. It was trying but it wouldnt actually start up. So being the non-knowledgeable person I am..I think I need a starter..lol..why cause my car wouldnt start... I ve had 2 different guys look at it and they are telling me its mostly likely my fuel pump. I have yet to get it towed to an actual mechanic yet. But what it all comes down to is..do you guys think its the fuel pump also..because someone else said it could be the distributor ..? I dont know..I really just wanna know how much Im gonna have to spend on it...so if you guys would PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE..help a girl out. lol. thanks!!! ~Nicole~

Old 08-05-2006, 06:09 AM
spudsterier
Legend

no distributor....coil pack....
if its the fuel pump then when you turn the ignition on, you wont hear the whinning comming from the back...if you hear the sound then its usually not the fuel pump....check the fuses under the hood too....especially the little ones

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump