1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

lotsa performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006 | 04:17 PM
spudsterier
|
Legend
Default lotsa performance questions

ok i am going to be getting some money soon and want to put alot of it into the motor...i dont care about the outside.....
but i have had a hard time getting straight answers outta anyone on here before...but i will try again
so i want to get my block bored 20 over and get a turbo for it....
i know that i want aem cam gears.....and lots of other stuff but there is kinda alot that i cant figure out....i have tried emailing howell automotive about this....but they never wrote me back.....

i want JE 8.6 pistons and eagle connecting rods...but does anyone know if they come with the wrist pins???

anyone know what the difference is between the p-series and h-series rod bearings????do you need both???or just one???
what about the full groove main bearings or the p-series main bearings????
http://www.howellautomotive.com/inde...S&Category=221

there are alot of cams to choose from, and i dont know which would work the best....any ideas????
http://www.howellautomotive.com/inde...S&Category=223

do i need better valves???? if so then how about REV or INDY???
http://howellautomotive.com/index.as...ory=223&Page=3

any idea on what piston rings to get????..hastings??? i dont know if the hastings come with all the rings or just the wide ones???

are the crane valve springs and titanium retainers worth it??? or necessary??? do i need titanium retainers????
http://www.howellautomotive.com/inde...ory=223&Page=2

i want to get the walbro fuel pump, but isnt that a rail mount pump??? what would i do about the stock one???

and last thing for now....would a stock mls head gasket work on a bored out block....or is ther a different one???
any help would be awsome before i go and start ordering anything

Old 07-31-2006 | 08:01 PM
das2123
Legend
Default RE: lotsa performance questions

I'd suggest calling Cory at Modern Performance and speaking with him. Howell Auto isn't gonna help you out the way Cory will.

If you are going turbo then go with the Crane#14 and yes I would go with better valves and the Indy's are great. You will also need bettter springs and retainers. If you are going with JE pistons, why not get their rings as well? I'd get the titanium retainers and crane springs just to be safe. You want reliability with the turbo then don't get cheap spud. The MLS will work with the bored block.

Again, call Cory at Modern Performace...you will find his customre service skills far superior to Howell's. He will also ship your item when paid for so you get it in a decent amount of time. It's toll free 1-877-247-6366

Old 07-31-2006 | 08:50 PM
spudsterier
|
Legend

do ya think the car would be fast with all this???
know of any fairly cheap place to get some of this???...i just figure the less money i spend...the more i can get...

i know this has been asked before, but will the stock srt4 turbo bolt up to the dohc head????....i found one for real cheap and want to know before i get it

Old 07-31-2006 | 09:00 PM
ScrapYurImport
Veteran

helllzy ya that thing will be fast!!![sm=gears.gif]

Old 07-31-2006 | 09:05 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: spudsterier
do ya think the car would be fast with all this???
know of any fairly cheap place to get some of this???...i just figure the less money i spend...the more i can get...
Modern is the cheapest I have found for new stuff, you could alwats get used stuff cheaper.

ORIGINAL: spudsterier
i know this has been asked before, but will the stock srt4 turbo bolt up to the dohc head????....i found one for real cheap and want to know before i get it
Yes the SRT-4 turbo manifold will bolt up, but you "should" know that you need more than just that.

Old 07-31-2006 | 09:48 PM
spudsterier
|
Legend

o i know....the turbo is just the start....but im not goin to get all the other stuff until i have it......i dont wanna get the fuel pump, injectors, missing link, intercooler, oil pump, lines and fittings, intercooler piping, and everything else, then find out that i cant find the turbo...that would **** me off...

sumone should give me a whole list so that i make sure my wish list is correct...just wanna double check

Old 07-31-2006 | 10:11 PM
das2123
Legend

Looks like you got everything on the list. You can find the SRT turbo on srtforums.com all day, anyday.

Old 08-01-2006 | 12:43 AM
spudsterier
|
Legend

well i guess i will have to check there....if not the guy down the street from me has one

Old 08-01-2006 | 01:56 AM
spudsterier
|
Legend

well i checked that forum a little, but the only ones i saw were a little pricey.....

anyone ever heard of some TOP LINE automotive parts.....they have pistons and valves and stuff on ebay.....kinda cheap, just wondering if it is any good????

Old 08-01-2006 | 10:02 AM
spudsterier
|
Legend

well after thinkin about it this mornin on the way to work, im gonna just get the melling oil pump, srt4 turbo, fuel pump, intercooler, JE 8.6 pistons, eagle connecting rods, new clutch, rear main seal, 20 over block(maybe 40, have to find out about reliability first) and all the other turbo junk......
then save the rest of the money for my 4-wheeler....then start with the car again....and go for the head...i have a few heads laying around, so i can completely build one of them over time and then just swap it out...

any idea how fast it might be compared to an srt-4 with just the turbo and bottom end built????? what about power output??...ive olny ever driven 2 turbo cars..a wrx and srt4..neither had any internals done...just the regular bolt ons so i dont know what to expect

another question.....which turbo might be better, the stock srt-4 td05lr or a stock eclipse td05h????...i alredy hace the td05h but i need the manifold, just wondering which way to go

Quick Reply: lotsa performance questions