1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

MTX Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:32 PM
NEONRT98
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTX Fluid

Alright, how often are you supposed to change/flush the fluid in a MTX? What are some signs you may need fluid added or changed.. also, do you guys suggest any of the Lucas Oil Stabilizers for them? Thanks!

Old 08-08-2006, 11:18 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MTX Fluid

you should have to change it, it is supposed to be good for the life of the trans....however i change mine everytime the trans or motor are removed from the car....im not sure about the lucas, ive never used it before, i just use regular penzoil 80-90 gear lube...

you can check it though, if you remove the drives tire(dont need to but it makes it easier) and look at the trans, on the back side there is a rubber plug, if you remove the plug the oil should be at the bottom of the hole, stick your finger in there and see if you feel any, if not, just add some until it starts leaking out

Old 08-09-2006, 12:27 AM
NEONRT98
All Star

Mmm, my car has 188k on it and figured it wouldnt harm to flush it.. is it possible to flush it?

Old 08-09-2006, 01:14 AM
NYG
Veteran

I change mine after 2 or 3 races - pending on how hard I drive it and the race conditions

I use Red Line MTX Synthetic.

It is easy to change - not sure about a flush??

there is a bolt on the bottom of the Transmission to drain it just like you would your engine oil

to refill/check - there is a rubber plug towards the top of the gear box - you can easily access it by taking off your front driver side tire.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:56 AM
NEONRT98
All Star

Cool, thanks!

Old 08-10-2006, 07:02 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

Alright, get a kick outta this one..

I go to the Dodge Dealership in town, ask em if they sold parts, they said yeah... Well, then I was tlaking to the parts guy and asked them if they could order me a shifter bushing for a 98 Dodge Neon R/T.. The guy looked at me and says "They made the R/T in that year?"

Right there I knew they were retarded....

I go "Yeah, its got the R/T Transmission in it" and yadda yadda.. well, they had no idea what the shifter bushing was.. I had to actually point it out to them, then they were like "Oh no, we cant get that without ordering the whole linkage.." 219 dollar HAHA right...

So then I ask them what they recommend for the MTX fluid to change it.. because I coudlnt remember the number that DAS gave me at the time.. They go "Oh, well I am not sure" they pull out a chart and look up "my car".. then proceed to tell me to put ATF+4 into it... I sort of looked at them like they were retarded and walked out..

So tonight I am going to buy a shifter bushing off Ebay because for some reason yesterday I was at the track, I wound 2nd to 7k, went to shift into third, and it wouldnt go at all... no grinding no nothing.. I think I need my linkage adjusted and that bushing replaced since I kinda ghetto rigged the one that was missing when I got the car with a universal one...

Just thought I would let you guys know how retarded my dodge dealership is.. ha

Old 08-10-2006, 07:13 PM
spudsterier
Legend

unless you get one that sumone ripped out of there car, the only place that make just the bushing is bugger bushings.....the dealer was right about that one....you have to order the whole linkage to get the bushing

Old 08-10-2006, 07:40 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

Yes yes, I realise that.. but they are still retarded in my book, especially for the ATX+4 thing and the R/T thing

Old 08-11-2006, 12:12 AM
NEONRT98
All Star

Would a lack of MTX fluid cause sort of harsh shifting from gear to gear? Like kinda hard to change gears when the car is running.. moving or not..? I just checked the fluid in my MTX, and I was able to get some fluid from the side on the inside of the transmission, but not like the tip of my finger was submerged in the fluid.. and is it possible to overfill the fluid in a MTX? How much should I add? Rules of thumb?.. Sorry, I am new to this transmission thing!

Old 08-11-2006, 01:22 AM
spudsterier
Legend

you cant easily overfill the fluid because the whole where you fill the fluid in is the marker....when putting in the fluid, just add til it starts leaking out the hole....you should have difficulty shifting if the fluid is low.....just like an auto

Quick Reply: MTX Fluid