the unthinkable happend

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:56 PM
noen_newbe
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the unthinkable happend

hey guys
something realy bad happend to my poor lil neon.
i let my dad drive and it overheated and then all of a suddent the car stalled. this is a sohc automatic neon they are stranded right now and it turns out that the timing belt broke. now i am scared no i am patrified that something realy bad happend to the car like a hole in my pistons or something. please help me
i hope that this is spelt right i dont have time to type slow and correctly[sm=badidea.gif] dont llend your car out [sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 08-29-2006, 12:46 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Default RE: the unthinkable happend

A good percentage of the time if the belt goes then the valves are gona probably bend, hopefully they aren't. good luck

Old 08-29-2006, 12:50 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they were driving it and tried starting the car when it died then the valves are bent.....but hey, its not unthinkable, ive dont it before and most neon owners have too

Old 08-29-2006, 12:58 AM
noen_newbe
Veteran

oh ok they tried to start it but it would be a like a noise like when you run out of gas and you try to start the car
ok so now what em i looking at the price to fix this new issue i hope it is not expensive because i need to get back on the road lol all my cars are breaking down my honda broke down also. any ideas on pricing

Old 08-29-2006, 01:13 AM
spudsterier
Legend

just rip it apart and put in new valves...and change the tensioner pulley.....should be too much money....
there is a good chance that it didnt go because the belt broke....i would bet it was because the tensioner pulley fried...when my timing belt went out on my first neon 6 days after i got it, it wasnt because the belt broke...it was because the bearings inside the tensioner pulley went out and melted the whole assembly....

just be glad it only broke the belt and belt some valves.....and not what i did to my dohc motor...you would want those kinda problems

timing belt problems is why i like my dohc....you dont hear of nearly as many problems with them breaking the belt as the sohc does

Old 08-29-2006, 01:36 AM
noen_newbe
Veteran

i see but i am not mechanicaly incline i am dumb lol but do you know like a ball park figure price that would be helpfull oyea im worried now about something bad happening to the car because i have to leave it where it got stranded lol everything happends for a reason right

Old 08-29-2006, 01:37 AM
spudsterier
Legend

everything happened because it was just its time too...as for a repair price i would say anywhere between $1.00-$1000.00

Old 08-29-2006, 01:44 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: noen_newbe
i have to leave it where it got stranded lol everything happends for a reason right
Yes, to get you to work on and learn more about your neon.

If it overheated there is a possibility that the head is damaged also. Your looking at:

Timing Belt - $40
Water Pump - $60
Tensioner - $50
Headgasket kit - $100
Head resurface - $50-$100

and then the labor to install all this. If you have bent valves, which you probably do, then you add those in there as well.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:46 AM
spudsterier
Legend

remember when you replace it that you dont need the tensioner...you need the tensioner pulley...the actual tensioner is the pin that has to be compressed in a vise then mounted to the motor....it puts pressure on the pulley bracket which then holds the pulley against the belt.....the tensioner pulley bearings is what goes out....not the tensioner

Old 08-29-2006, 01:47 AM
dogdaysunrise
Veteran

this would be a ballpark figure:

Machine work on the head: 200-400 (depends on who does it)
New Head Gasket set: 80-100
New valves: not sure you would have to shop around
Timing belt and Tensioner pulley set: 100-140
New water pump: 140-180 (change it while you got it apart)
Labor: free if you can do it yourself... Not a pretty amount if you can't

If I were you I would go and find yourself a decent looking head at the wrecker and give that a try. There is a chance that the head isnt warped or cracked, but you wont know until the machine shop can check things out. If you can do the work yourself you can check the head with a straight edge and a feeler gauge and just get the machine shop to set up the valves if you dont need it milled down. That will save you alot of cash.

Quick Reply: the unthinkable happend