1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

All talk no action!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 05:38 AM
95NeonJS
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All talk no action!

Ok so I've searched the forum, and all over google. I know that people have talked like crazy about swapping out their rear drums and converted to disc. I've done the research and know all of the parts needed. I have searched up and down at all the junkyards in my area. And i can't find a single neon with rear disc. I know that its only the ACR trim and some of the RTs that came with rear disc. But it is possible to take them off the 2nd gens? and if so, would I have more luck finding a 2nd gen with them? Does anyone have or know anyone with rear disc that is parting out their cars? very interested. Thanks all

Old 09-25-2006, 06:25 AM
95_dohc_mtx
Rookie
Default RE: All talk no action!

I have a 95 neon sport coupe that came with rear disc brakes. Ofcourse, i'm not parting it out, hehe. Anyways, i have read on some forums and researched on the internet about the disc brakes on neons, and there's not really any benefit to rear discs brakes on neons. They add weight and don't provide HARDLY any more stopping power than the rear drum neons. My buddy has a 98 neon highline with rear drums and he can stop better than i can!! Then again my rotors are pitted pretty bad and need new brakes and shaved rotors, which i'll be getting next weekend hopefully, then i'll see how much of a difference with new brakes and get the rotors shaved down for now anyways, until i can afford some slotted, cross drilled rotors. Just my 2 cents of my knowledge from the internet. Personally, i'd rather have disc braked though

Old 09-25-2006, 07:00 AM
95NeonJS
Professional

See i'm mainly doing it because having 4 disc brake is just nice. Main reason LESS WORK. I don't care about stopping distance or any of that. I just want less work. And pads are easy. And sure 4 disc brake looks better....

Old 09-25-2006, 10:39 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the whole rear disc assembly off my old r/t that i was trying to get rid of but no one wanted it...so i put them on my wifes neon and we just traded it in.....if i had the original drums still, i woulda swapped them out before gettin rid of it

Old 09-25-2006, 04:53 PM
95_dohc_mtx
Rookie

That's why i'm glad 2 have all around disc brakes.. Just SIMPLE... Like i told my buddy who was givin me crap that the rear drums are lighter and still stop a little better, i told him, idc, ur jus pissed that i have rear discs, lol. I said i didnt care if they're a little heavier, or stop a tish slower than rear drums, they're simple, and they'll stop better with aftermarket rotors i'm sure anyways.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:15 PM
xdeathwishx
Professional

i think its not really all talk no action. i think that people who care about their ride enough to do a brake conversion, probably dont let their cars end up in junkyards.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:01 PM
95NeonJS
Professional

No its all talk and no action because I have read post after post of this whole brake conversion, yet no one has ever replied with yes I did it and this is where i got the parts.

the reason i'm looking at junkyards is because its not just us enthusiasts that drive them. its everyday people too. And they get in wrecks and would trade a neon for something newer anyday. there have got to be over 20 neons in my area and it just so happens that none of them are RT's or sports. I'm guessing its because the real enthusiasts like us are driving them "safely"! LOL

Old 09-25-2006, 07:31 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its very difficult to find an r/t in a junk yard.....ive looked and looked for a few years and ended up findin one in junk yard way out in the boonies in wisconsin.....
oh and,

like i said, ive done the swap...its very easy....took about 1/2 hour per tire......thats from the car sitting on the ground with drums to it sitting on the ground with discs......
but i used all my left over parts, so i didnt have to find them

there were 3 people that said they wanted the setup i had, but no one went through with it...i even told 2 of them that i would install it all since they lived near by.....and still no bites....so they went on the other car....i guess if i woulda known we were gonna be trading it in, i woulda kept them....but maybe i will find more sumtime and get them since there is a 98 sport sitting in the junk yard up the road from me and i believe its got rear discs.....

just remember, not all sports have rear disc....my wifes sport had drums

Old 09-25-2006, 10:10 PM
95NeonJS
Professional

Let me know if you go out to the junkyard and happen to stumble across some. Das messaged me and said he could probably find some. I was hoping that he would see the post and be able to find something for me. HAHAHA! anyway thanks for everyones help.

Oh an spud did that include doing the e-brake?

Old 09-25-2006, 11:28 PM
NYG
Veteran

I have an extra set of Rear Disc for my 99 Neon - bought them off Ebay - never open the box!

I started to build out a second Neon for Racing and decided not to build a 2nd one and just work on my current 1st Gen

I will have to dig thru my paypal account to find the amount I paid - it been so long ago it is not listed on my Won section on Ebay.

Would you be interested?

Quick Reply: All talk no action!