1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

squealing belts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 01:36 AM
zeeds
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squealing belts...

hi guys...new to DF and am impressed w/ all the info on here. as for the belts, it has started to get chilly here in PA so ive been using the heat and rear defroster. when the heat is up and/or the defroster is in use my belts start squealing when the fans kick in..however if i rev the engine slightly they stop squealing and everything is fine..... im thinking the alternator is starting to go but wanted some opinions. thanks! its a 95 highline sohc btw.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:44 AM
FyreDaug
Veteran
Default RE: squealing belts...

nah, just tighten the belt, there SHOULD be an adjuster screw/nut on the alternator. There has been on all the other cars Ive owned and it makes sense, my first dodge so I dont think they would do it differently. They just wear out a little over a time and stretch etc. That should fix it up

Old 11-01-2006, 01:49 AM
zeeds

belts only have like 2500 miles on them, and they are def tight....

Old 11-01-2006, 01:51 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you turn on the defroster the a/c kicks on....so its probally your a/c and powersteering belt making noise.......i would honestly just replace it.....then it will be good to go for the winter

edit: just saw your second post....you could always rub soap on the belt

Old 11-01-2006, 01:51 AM
dogdaysunrise
Veteran

sounds more like the fan for the blower to me

Old 11-01-2006, 02:15 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran

You can probably fix that by loosening the bolts on your power steering pump, then pull it super hard away from the engine and then snug the bolts back down.

By doing so you will tighten the accessory belt.

Goodluck

Old 11-01-2006, 02:38 AM
winsettz
Veteran

While you prep to adjust the tension on the belt, take the belt off and give it a good inspection.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:44 AM
zeeds

im going to take a look at the belt this weekend when i get home, i may decide to take out the ac compressor so ill need a new belt anyways....i figure that will atleast free up some power.. the a/c hasnt worked since i bought the car so i might as well not have the thing in there.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:46 AM
ZiggyNeon
Veteran

charge the ac and get an underdrive pulley...same effect as eliminating and when you sell it you can take the udp out and hook ac back up and sell both

Old 11-01-2006, 02:53 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

I had issues with my belts in the past and one of them I still due untill I can get up under there with some ok weather but its just my p/s I bypassed my A/C all together seeing how winter is coming up. the soap trick works wonders lol, and like Frye said, tighten your bolts up. when you do dont forget that the alt bolts intersect each other, make sure the one on the side that lays on the track is on there tight before your actually tighten the one towards the back facing your anit resevouir ( I just found that easier when I did it) and for the P/S I used the trick pimp beretta mentioned worked great, then I just used a ratchet for the third bolt ( the actuall P/S assembley one ), if you choose that, try to adjust it when the car hasn't been started, first time I did that I had anti freeze going everywhere, now I have offsetting wrenches and it doesnt matter now. if you have to remove the radiator hose ( have a small cup handy ), clamp it off closer towards the thermostat with a locking wrench ( make sure to put some type of cloth on the teeth so you don't bruise the rad hose ) after you pinch it off undo the clamp towards the thermo and drain whatever liquid is there into your cup and unlock your rad hose and let that drain off into the cup as well ( should just be able to squeeze it on it ) then just loosen up the clamp towards the rad and twist to the side some. now you will have plenty enough room to use a 1/2 wrench and undo the two P/S bolts sorry that was so long everyone but that's the step by step I had to do before I got better tools which I haven't had to do since buying them, Good Luck !!

Quick Reply: squealing belts...