1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Hello everyone new here and need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:40 PM
greekthang
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello everyone new here and need help

Hello guys. I am here to help out my girlfriend. She is not use to posting things so I am helping her out.

She has a 1998 dodge neon and I am doing a tune up for her. This is what I am going to be doing:

- spark plugs
- spark plug wires
- air filter
- fuel filter
- change engine oil
- tranny fluids and filter
- coolant flush
- fuel injector additive
- PCV valve

I am wondering a couple things:

What transmission fluids should I use because I know the dodge tranny is sensitive like that ?

Also I want to change the PVC valve is there a diagram of where its located also where the fuel filter is located.

Also is there anything else you guys would recommend ?

She has slacked on maintance for the car so I think this should bring it up to par again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance

Old 11-15-2006, 12:46 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hello everyone new here and need help

ORIGINAL: greekthang
What transmission fluids should I use because I know the dodge tranny is sensitive like that ?
Is this an MTX or ATX? There is a sticky up top that covers both in the 1st gen FAQ's thread.

Also I want to change the PVC valve is there a diagram of where its located also where the fuel filter is located.
On 98's I believe the PVC is on the rear of the valve cover. It's not hard to find.

If it is an auto, then I'd suggest you tighten/adjust the kickdown and reverse bands while you are changing the fluid and filter.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:55 PM
greekthang

ORIGINAL: das2123

Is this an MTX or ATX? There is a sticky up top that covers both in the 1st gen FAQ's thread.

On 98's I believe the PVC is on the rear of the valve cover. It's not hard to find.

If it is an auto, then I'd suggest you tighten/adjust the kickdown and reverse bands while you are changing the fluid and filter.

Thank you das2123. Is there a diapram that shows how to tighten the kickdown and reverse bands ?

Old 11-15-2006, 01:13 PM
das2123
Legend

Thank you das2123. Is there a diapram that shows how to tighten the kickdown and reverse bands ?
HERE is a link to a how-to.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:48 PM
spudsterier
Legend

the fuel filter is inside the pump....its supposedly "not servicable"

yeah the pcv valve is on the top left side of the engine.....right infront of the power steering resivoir

Old 11-15-2006, 04:04 PM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

i never knew that spud...kind of crazy to HAVE to change the fuel pump to swap the filter... are all 1st gen neons that way?

Old 11-15-2006, 04:13 PM
spudsterier
Legend

96-99 only i believe.....
95's had the external filter

however if you buy a fuel pump module/rebuild kit then a new filter is included.......the kits only about $100.00....but its better then the price of a fuel pump

Old 11-15-2006, 04:55 PM
winsettz
Veteran

Thought there was an external filter and an internal "sock" filter, the internal one being the one that is to "last the life of the car".

Old 11-15-2006, 05:11 PM
greekthang

ORIGINAL: das2123

HERE is a link to a how-to.

Thank you das2123. I have heard that the tranny is very sensitive and I am scared to mess with it. Its working ok now just wondering if i should mess with it.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:12 PM
das2123
Legend

Good write-up...
ORIGINAL: Rick '99 Flame Red R/T
All cars come equipped with a Sock (or Wick) type filter over the intake tube in the gas tank, this is generally not considered the fuel filter. The Sock Filter is just to prevent particles from the tank being sucked up into the intake tube and clogging the fuel pump. The actual Fuel Filter is after the pump and protects the rest of the fuel system; it is with very rare exception that a car does not have this filter. I’ve never heard of a fuel injected system no having a TRUE Fuel Filter after the fuel pump, I’m sure the injectors would clog very quickly without this basic protection, and a sock filter at the pick up will not provide this protection.

There is some confusion over the fuel filter for the later plastic tank 1st Generation Neons, and people have been lead to believe that there is no fuel filter, except the Sock or Wick type filter at the pick up tube. This is NOT true, the plastic tank Neons DO have a separate fuel filter that can be easily changed outside of the fuel tank. It is a combination Fuel Pressure Regulator and Filter that mounts on the exterior surface of the fuel pump and connects directly to the fuel line. I have not found an aftermarket replacement for this Fuel pressure regulator/filter, so it is a dealer only item, if you shop around it can be found for under $30, but we all know stearlerships, umm I mean dealerships, there are plenty that will demand more than $50 for the item.

The Fuel Filter for the ’95 Neon, which can be found on some ’96 models with the same METAL fuel tank as the ’95 model, is an external canister filter that is quite common on most fuel injected vehicles.