1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Update!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 03:57 AM
NEONRT98
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update!

So yeah, I got a cosigner for the loan to fix up the Neon today... WOO! I expect the money around the 8th of next month.. that means i get to go shopping for parts and engines!!

Also.. Since I am going turbo.. am I going to have to change my entire exhaust system? I currently have stock cat, piping, and an aftermarket muffler...

And as for ECU, I plan on going Megasquirt.. how much more gain is that gonna give me?

Old 12-24-2006, 09:44 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Update!

if your gonna do the srt4 swap then you gonna need the srt4 cat. convertor.....and it would be wise to get some 2.5in. exhaust pipe....

how much money are you gonna have?????
i personally think you are getting into sumthing that is deffinately gonna be more difficult then you may think

Old 12-24-2006, 12:25 PM
rtneon
Rookie

what motor are u plaining on putting in i fought a guy on myspace that did the srt4 swap in his rt and it took him 4 months and he said its really hard but he is running high 12s now too

Old 12-24-2006, 01:00 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

I plan on going SRT-4, I have a second car to drive, so I have all the time I need to do the swap, that is not my concern. I also have many friends that are mechanically inclined, including myself :-D

Thanks for the pointer, Spud.. I think I will just put a whole new exhaust on the car.. Got any suggestions for a decent turbo muffler?

Old 12-24-2006, 04:11 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: NEONRT98
I think I will just put a whole new exhaust on the car.. Got any suggestions for a decent turbo muffler?
Why not use the srt-4 exhaust sytem? They are cheap and plentiful from www.srtforums.com.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

I plan on going SRT-4, I have a second car to drive, so I have all the time I need to do the swap, that is not my concern. I also have many friends that are mechanically inclined, including myself :-D

Thanks for the pointer, Spud.. I think I will just put a whole new exhaust on the car.. Got any suggestions for a decent turbo muffler?
If you seem to know so much, then why post? The exhaust is really the least of your worries. What turbo are you using? What power range are you looking to operate in? Do you have a rebuilt block, with low compression pistons? A turbo car is more than a 3" exhaust and a loud BOV. Purchasing the correct turbo for your application can save loads of time when tuning comes into play. A good i/c will ensure the turbo of choice lasts as long as possible. The srt setup is cheap but limited, and when the need for more boosat comes you'll find yourself doing it all over again. Get a Hahn turbo manifold, since that certainly opens the doors to you turbo options. Most everything else is a matter of opinion.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:20 PM
das2123
Legend

And as for ECU, I plan on going Megasquirt.. how much more gain is that gonna give me?
None, it gives you control from inside the car.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:19 PM
spudsterier
Legend

ORIGINAL: Ghost Neon 2

If you seem to know so much, then why post? The exhaust is really the least of your worries. What turbo are you using? What power range are you looking to operate in? Do you have a rebuilt block, with low compression pistons? A turbo car is more than a 3" exhaust and a loud BOV. Purchasing the correct turbo for your application can save loads of time when tuning comes into play. A good i/c will ensure the turbo of choice lasts as long as possible. The srt setup is cheap but limited, and when the need for more boosat comes you'll find yourself doing it all over again. Get a Hahn turbo manifold, since that certainly opens the doors to you turbo options. Most everything else is a matter of opinion.
he plans on doing the whole srt4 motor swap.....
and the srt4 turbo is good for plenty of boost.....
i would deffinately use the complete srt4 exhaust.....i plan on getting the srt rear section for my car pretty soon...i just need the car to be louder then it is, i wanna hear the exhaust and not only the turbo....
the srt4 intercooler is very good too, and you can find them for under 100.00....i bought mine for $80.00 including shipping
unless you will have enough money, then i would get the complete thermal research and developement exhaust....the guy i got my turbo from has it on his car and it sounds really really good
dont forget to figure out a return line and to modify the fuel pump.....thats a nice little project

just be prepared for a hell of a job

Old 12-24-2006, 08:50 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

Yeah, I remember all the troubles you had with that part of your project, Spud. As for the exhaust question, I wasnt sure if there was possibly another complete exhaust system rather than the SRT-4 stock exhaust that would be better. I do know I will run into many problems doing this swap and such, but I kind of look forward to doing it. Good learning experience ;-) Do you have any suggestions for that return line, Spud?

Old 12-24-2006, 10:58 PM
spudsterier
Legend

get some 1/4 inch steel brake line and just bend it how you would need to......and makes sure that you get some fuel injection hose....not regular fuel hose.....
go to this link and it will basically show you what you need to do to your pump
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149071

[IMG]local://upfiles/29901/8EDF038D2C9B40308848334927492F40.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Update!