1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Some people are HARD on machinery!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Sniper X
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some people are HARD on machinery!

Do you guys know anyone like that? I mean like my uncle, who can get a new car or truck, and he turns it into a total broke *** POS in months. He can buy a used car that has been a great car since the 70s or 80s and as soon as he gets it, it is turned into a POS in a month or less. And he doesn't really drive like a maniac, he just is so UNcareful or careless.

Like the American Eagle my other uncle gave him. It was like a 74, in PERFECT condition, ran like a top, only had 65K on it. I rode in it a week before this dude got it and after he had it a month, I rode in it again, it rattled like a Sherman tank, rode like one, and ran like crap. It also had a few big dents in it. By the time another month had gone by it was sitting on the side of the road dead.....

I have known people like this all my life and also know those who are the opposite like me who can drive a older car forever till I get tired of it and sell it or just keep it forever. And nothing goes wrong other than wear items, and even those at a slow rate because I am not hard on vehicles.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shun people like that from my life. lol

Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 PM
abdodge1500
Professional

I'm 16 and I really try to take care of my truck, I don't drive it hard very much (my friends tell me I drive like a grandma) I do that because I have a 5.9L V8 truck (not the best mpg lmao) and because I want to make it last. I always keep up with fluid and filter changes as well. most of the people at my school run they're vehicles hard and put them up wet.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:15 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I do the same thing, only I don't drive mine easy all the time.

Sometimes you've just got to let the 360 bark and let itself be known.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Sniper X
Captain

Don't get me wrong, I don't baby my vehicles I just don't horse beat them. And I know how to drive off road so don't do stupid **** that will break them. After being into 4x4s for way longer than I care to devulge, I will say my days of trying to show off and break my truck are over, in fact I never did that. I left that to my dumbass friends who ended up breaking all their **** before they realized what was going on. And like I said, you don't have to baby stuff, just don't abuse it.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 AM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My girlfriend's mom. She is a single mom, and a farmer. There is something about the attributes of farmer ingenuity and stereotypical female mechanical disinclination that when combined in a certain way make for some interesting ways of going about doing things. To be fair though, she generally does well when it comes to fixing things, but she has a tendency to resort to bailing wire fixes before exhausting better options.

For example, one day I was talking to her in the garage where she had a grease gun, a tube of grease, and something that needed greased. I came back a half hour later to find the grease gun on the ground disassembled, the tube of grease sitting with a dirty stick in it, and grease slathered all over the equipment. I guess dirty grease is probably better than no grease when it's a tractor. Her equipment lives a hard life, but of the two tractors they have, both are over 50 years old, and both still work . . . usually. There is something to be said for that.

As for myself, I like to, ummmmmm . . . put my truck to the test every once in a while. I'll admit it, I'm rough on it sometimes. But I always try to keep up on maintenance and repairs, and I won't do anything that that could put it at risk of serious damage, just accelerated wear.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

when you can afford to pay someone else to fix thing you don't seem to care as much. when you have to fix things yourself you are a bit nicer to your truck.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Sniper X
Captain

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
when you can afford to pay someone else to fix thing you don't seem to care as much. when you have to fix things yourself you are a bit nicer to your truck.
My uncle does all his own work, and has to way too often. Maybe that is it! He must LOVE to work on stuff so much he breaks it on purpose!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:08 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
AGREED!

My mom works for a doctor and a lawyer. In the past year, one of their sons has ran a BMW dry of oil until it seized, and ran the power steering on an Acura without fluid for several hundred miles, cooking that as well.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

How do you not know something is wrong? I mean really...there has to be some sigh that something is amiss. Granted, most people read "Maintenance free" on the battery and think the engine requires no work.

Quick Reply: Some people are HARD on machinery!