1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

which is better chiltons, haynes, alldata

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:33 PM
farmboysdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which is better chiltons, haynes, alldata

I'm working on my wiring on a 89 w250. I have a haynes manual and it SUCKS! I'm looking for more detailed wiring diagrams, any opinions??

Old 12-19-2009, 12:01 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

alldata is ok sometimes. the haynes manual does have some good info sometime, it just depends on what your doing.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:58 AM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

I like haynes compared. Any online DIY's are the best I think. More specific. Just gotta search.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:52 PM
AeSix
Professional

I don't like the Chiltons, they seem to be written more for mechanics than DIYers. That's fine if you've got a bit of mechanical training. I don't. I will use it though as there is some information (especially diagrams) that are better than the Hayne's
I've never used Alldata, so no opinion there.
Haynes are good for people who are just getting started with doing it themself.
I really need something between Chiltons and Haynes, and maybe that's Alldata, but I've never seen one.
If I was to pick up a manual for my truck today though, I'd get a Haynes. Less thinking involved to understand the instructions. Anything missing, well that's what Google is for

The above is just my opinion, and others may differ from that.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The best wiring diagrams are at you local library. Main libraries have extensive professional manuals. At 10 cents a copy you can get full wiring diagrams for any vehicle for under a dollar.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:25 PM
dreamer1uk
Amateur

Hi,

Alldata all the way in my opinion. I use it at home as well as at college. There we have the commercial Alldata and i cant say nothign but good things about it.

However, you will need to know the basics of working on vehciles, as well as been able to read and diagnose wiring diagrams and such.

It all depends on your skill level

Old 12-20-2009, 05:30 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer1uk
Hi,

Alldata all the way in my opinion. I use it at home as well as at college. There we have the commercial Alldata and i cant say nothign but good things about it.

However, you will need to know the basics of working on vehciles, as well as been able to read and diagnose wiring diagrams and such.

It all depends on your skill level
alldata is missing some info and some info is incorrect but what can you do?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Rudebaker
Rookie

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, you cannot beat the Chrysler factory service manual. About $40 on eBay for a reporduction depending on model year. It's about 3 inches thick.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:02 PM
tooltime
Veteran

I have looked at a book from the library. It is from Clymer and it seemed good it had a skill levvel and time sheet for projects

Old 01-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Dodgem250

I have access for All Data through my wifes repair shop and I have used it a few times for my 1986 Dodge D100 and every time there has been something wrong with the information, so, I don't even bother with All Data anymore, they can't even get the firing order, or the ignition wiring, right for my truck. I'll go back to the books any day.

Quick Reply: which is better chiltons, haynes, alldata