1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1989 w150 front Hub Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 11:52 AM
itsrname2
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 w150 front Hub Question

As you may or may not know I just got a 89 dodge w150 with a 5.2, it has had some work done to it,

The question I am on now is, The front hubs are manual locking hubs, but the axle is the vacuum accuated. Does this sound right? I would like to make everything orginal again.

I have read some post on here saying how much better manaul locking hubs are but I do like the auto hubs and want to switch back to them, I did a search and Can not find any place that sells them. anyone here have any to sell?

does my front axle sound wierd to anyone? having a vacuum axel with manual hubs? just seems wierd to me. But would like any info on how to make it back to original again.

Thank you.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The vacuum actuated axle did not come with manual or automatic hubs. It had a solid chrome cap on the end of the axles that was installed with a rubber hammer like most car axle caps. Someone did not want to fool with the vacuum system and just locked the axle in 4x4 and put those manual hubs on it. The vacuum motor alone (if that would turn out to be the problem) is $300.00 at the dealership and it is a dealer item only. So you can see why someone would do what they did.

Since this has been done and you do not know why it was done you will have to pull the vacuum motor housing and figure out how they locked the front axles and if it can be returned to original. There may be damage to the axle splines or the coupling and I have even seen people recommend that the coupling be welded to one of the axles to accomplish what you have. Until you open it up you wont know what you have to deal with. Most people permanently lock the axles by moving the shift fork on the shift motor shaft and reinserting the c-clip so that the shift fork is held in the engaged position and cannot move.

Just so you are aware of all the possibilities that are out there here is another way that does not require you to exit the truck to lock the front axles. The 450 kit is the one for your truck.
http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html

Last edited by SEAL; 03-09-2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2010, 12:11 PM
itsrname2
Amateur

Thank you again Seal.. That makes things clearer for me now. this is my Second 89 dodge w150, the first one had a 3.9, I sold that and brought this one since it has the 5.2. and my other one had what you said with just the cover on the end and i just assumed that met autolocking hubs.

Will I be able to see everything that is going on once i pull the motor housing? As in if there is damage to the Axle splines or coupling or if it had been welded? And If i can I will try to take a picture for you.

If its too much going on i might just find a used axel if i can.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:17 PM
itsrname2
Amateur

Another question is how did they get the manual locking hubs on there and how would i take them off and replace what was original?

Old 03-10-2010, 01:31 PM
itsrname2
Amateur

Seal, i also seen that Dorman has a replacement Vacuum motor the part number is 600-202 I looked up the price and its around 80 dollars.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-b...p1&vtime=48481

Old 03-10-2010, 04:37 PM
SEAL
Champion

I believe you will need an adjusting nut, retaining washer, lock nut and an end cap for each side. You should have a manual before doing this. It will tell you how to remove the locking hubs and how to install the nuts and retaining washers. When you take off the motor assembly just reach inside and slide the coupling back and forth if it moves freely (about an inch) every thing is probably fine on splines and coupling. An inspection mirror will let you see them. A hand held vacuum pump will test the motor itself and the vacuum lines.

Thanks for the link. Pickerbush18 is gonna by pissed when he reads this because he just paid $300.00 for one.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:39 AM
itsrname2
Amateur

That sucks, I just found it yesterday, and the price on amazon.com is from 65 to 80 dollars depending on what store you order it from.

Thank you for the info about removing the manual hubs. is this the way you would do it? or would you keep the manual hubs?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:18 PM
SEAL
Champion

I would keep the manual hubs until I did the trouble shooting necessary to find out what is wrong with the vacuum system and what it would cost to fix it. I really like not having to exit the truck to use 4x4 but the price to fix it would probably dictate what I would do. I have a lot of time but not a lot of money.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 AM
nmscuba

Hi, I also have a 89 Dodge W150 4x4 and it has the vacuum front differential.

I was looking at the Posi Lok and saw where it says that the shifter fork will move the collar so it connects to the free wheeling right axle to the driven intermediate axle.

So that makes me ask, is the one axle always connected and rotating and the other one is free till it hooks together?

If so going to locking hubs sounds like you would only need 1, is that correct?

Mine are currently locked by who ever owned it before, if they are both locked how would putting locking hubs on release it?

Thank you

Old 11-30-2011, 12:32 PM
SEAL
Champion

All three of the axles shafts turn at all times when the truck is moving so you do need two. The axle lock actually locks the left(drivers side) axle with intermediate axle.

I love my axle disconnect. I can't see getting out of the cab every time you need or want 4x4. Not to mention the additional cost just to inconvenience myself. Fixing the stock system would probably be cheaper anyway.

Last edited by SEAL; 11-30-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 1989 w150 front Hub Question