1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Methane Injection?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:29 PM
TheMikeEustis
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Methane Injection?

Hi fellas , was down at the autoparts store today , some guy claimed he got 30+ MPG in his 350 Chev. from injecting methane into the carburetor or something like that . I don't have the slightest clue how all of that works . And if he gets that much of a mileage increase , I want to know how I can fit it on my carburetor-ated 360 . Pretty soon I'll be commuting 50 miles daily , for college and my 8 miles per gallon won't be cutting it . Anyone got a clue , where I can find it , how much it is , and how hard it is to snap together ? Thanks , Mike .

Old 10-31-2010, 10:14 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-03-2010, 08:21 PM
TheMikeEustis
Rookie

Thank you, looks like a sweet kit. Can any driveway mechanic do this or should I pay someone to get it done right?

Old 11-04-2010, 06:12 AM
SEAL
Champion

I have no doubt that I could install this kit but I can not see it in my daily driver. Without knowing your mechanical ability I can't answer your question. Good luck and if you do it let us know about your experience with it.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:42 PM
TheMikeEustis
Rookie

Sorry for the late reply , between school & work I've been running around like nuts . And my mechanical ability is about average I suppose . Being that I'm only 15 , I don't have the experience you guys have . But , why wouldn't you see it on your daily driver ? I'm just curious , because that's exactly what my truck will be . Up here , she will see temperatures drop down 20 below and in the summer it really doesn't go past 80 . Also , I'm about 2,000 feet above sea level . I don't know if these factors will effect the injection system in any way , but I figured I'd throw them out there .

Thanks
-Mike

Old 11-20-2010, 05:51 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

running an experiment fuel system on a daily driver is not a good idea because it could cause your vehicle to break down and may leave you with an expensive towing bill.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:14 PM
SEAL
Champion

Mike, think about this. If methane injection was a good idea for a daily driver, with all the pressure car companies are under by the government to get better gas milage. Wouldn't all new cars come equipped with this system.

Longevity and reliability are the most important things that a daily driver must have. This system will adversely effect both of these things in my opinion.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:17 PM
sbrodacz
Professional

They're really easy to install. AEM also makes one. I installed one on my turboed s2000. Took about an hour. You do have to have it tuned. I'm not a big fan of them. They're know to malfunction. Mine started to spray and would not stop. If you have any sort of trouble your asking for disaster.

Quick Reply: Methane Injection?