1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

93 W-150, exhaust clips & Plowing Snow.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 01:21 AM
MrCadillac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 W-150, exhaust clips & Plowing Snow.

Over the winter my dad and I fixed the redneck exhaust on the truck. It had a very bad leak at the passengers side manifold, with 2" duals and glass packs. I didn't care for the sound, so I made it "quieter".

4-1 Flowtech headers(That fit like GARBAGE), no cats, 3" pipes off the headers, into a custom Y pipe (Dual 3" in, single 3" out). Single 3" Magnaflow Turbo XL, with a single 3" tail pipe. All mandrel bent, and a pain in the *** to make it all fit. You can see the drivers side pipe under the passengers side frame rail. This trucks only jobs are to plow snow, move junk around, and pull a car trailer around locally... until we can make it more reliable. It has fried wires, and left me stranded too many times to take it very far. But for now it gets the job done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqTa_KKYM9I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQfGtadbTDY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TdBIBnScDw

Old 02-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Dodge_Ram_3500
Veteran

Nice truck! Basically the SWB version of mine I wish I could find one like it around here, what trans? I know that exhaust must have been tough to make it work, I gave up and welded on one glasspack LOL

Old 02-26-2011, 03:27 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

my dad was telling me that you could take a truck cab and drop it on a ram charger frame and build a really good plow truck. all you would have to do is shorten the box or put a deck on the back.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:18 AM
MrCadillac

It's quite rusty. I will post a few pictures I took of it last year when he bought it. The exhaust was no easy task. It took a pair of "Header Extension" pipes, that are "S" bends to make it work, along with some 90's, and 45's. It is tweaked oddly out of the drivers header to tuck inside the side/mounting plate for the trans. I will post pictures next time we have it on the lift. It turned into a nightmare project when the gas tank strap broke last summer. The straps for the tank we could find, ended up being for a 94-01 tank. I confirmed this when he bought a 00 in the middle of the project. Had to custom make them work as well. It was on the lift for WAY too long, and kept me from finishing some other cars of ours that really need some work. Gas lines were jerry rigged, transmission shift bushings gone and holes were oblong. Took a lot of custom work to get it back on the road. I ended up using plastic fuel lines from a parts 95 Buick Roadmaster I had around. I was impressed they worked perfectly. I broke a spark plug putting the header on, and replacing it turned into a project. The plug snapped the threads off in the head. Now it looks like a coolant freeze plug is rusting through a weeping. One thing leads to another with this one.

Then to top it off, we finish it all, and it leaves us stranded on our way to plow the driveway for my dads 35 car garage. Frickin' crank sensor.... Which wasn't exactly easy to get to. If that wasn't enough... The very next time I head out to finally plow that 35 car garage driveway, I can smell burning plastic halfway there, and then the cab starts to fill with smoke. Luckily I was a few hundred feet from a friends driveway, and pulled in. Whipped the hood open, and unhooked the battery as fast as I could. Turned out a turn signal wire for the plow melted, and took a few other wires with it. Which turned into a rewiring nightmare. From the plow harness burned connections, all the way into the cab to the steering column, head light switch, interior fuse panel. Yet again one of my GM parts cars came to the rescue. The interior harness and battery cables from a Chevy Caprice police car I had scrapped a the year before was hacked up, and used to fix it all. Had to wire in the auxiliary fuse block added by GM for police equipment to replace the melted fuse box.

I'm glad I can solder decent, and fix it the right way instead of some of the butt connectors the previous owners had hacked in. It's still not 100%. I can't get the plow lights to come on, but at least now the plow harness works enough to control the plow... I have a feeling it has more in store for me this summer. My Roadmasters are not going to be happy campers if I can't get ones overly rich issues ironed out o the one on the right, and a put a replacement engine in the one on the left. Both of them will now sport nearly identical to stock engines, but sourced from my Chevy Caprice parts cars. LT1 or bust!

I fail to understand why you wouldn't just use a Ram Charger. I'm by no means a Dodge truck guy. Far from it. My dad however, is. He bought a 79 Plymouth Trail Duster new in 79. Wrecked it a year later, and ended up with a 79 Ram Charger that he put a plow on. Then swapped it to an 89 Ramcharger he bought 10 years later. I can remember him using the 89 to plow our road in the early 90's. I was only around 5 years old.

Last edited by MrCadillac; 02-27-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:25 AM
MrCadillac
Old 02-27-2011, 12:32 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

the exhaust manifold look like it is being held on by muffler cement. other wise the truck don't look to bad.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:48 AM
MrCadillac

Pretty much. The previous owner that had it for about a year, used it to plow his long driveway out in the country. It had a bad leak. If you look closely, you can see the bolt heads, and studs are nearly nonexistent. Sockets would not catch on any of them. I had to use a torch to cut the heads off, then pull the manifold off with new vent ports that had been burned into it. The drivers side had already been fixed, but he didn't touch the passengers side since they were that bad.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:57 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i don't know if it is the same on the 93 but i have read in the 2nd gen section that they did not use exhaust manifold gaskets on the magnum engines. when i did the engine swap on my 91 i used torches to remove the bolts and studs from the heads before i installed the engine. i would hate to ever have remove them with the engine installed. if i ever replace the manifolds on my 81 i will need torches.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Dodge_Ram_3500
Veteran

Sounds like my 93' Ranger, just one thing after another. Thats not too bad for a plow truck though, im sure it works better then my buddy's Chevy hah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-yL_TYA6fg

He's a GM guy too, had a 95' Carpice with the LT1, I love my Crown Vic's but man that car would friggen move, I almost bought it.

Last edited by Dodge_Ram_3500; 02-27-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: 93 W-150, exhaust clips & Plowing Snow.