1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hood scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013 | 11:45 AM
Sniper X
Captain

Originally Posted by sls001
I purchased a hood from them and had no problems with them but that was 4-5 years ago. Recently I put a scoop on from Unlimited Products and they also make a quality product:

http://www.up22.com/scoopw1.htm#SC-1023

I put my scoop on mainly to get the heat out from under the hood and it has worked far better than my expectations. I've dropped nearly 20 degrees in engine temp when hot, idling in traffic and when going slow off-road.

Here is a link to some pic's I took while working on it.

http://s1034.photobucket.com/user/sl...w/Hood%20Scoop

As far as a snorkel; I have seen some done but they were all custom since no one makes a kit that is bolt on for our trucks.

Here is a link to one over on RCC:
http://ramchargercentral.com/technic...73/#msg1648773
Awesome truck! I hope mine looks that good when I paint it! I want a snorkel too, not as much for forging but they just look friggin COOL~!

Old 04-30-2013 | 11:52 AM
sls001
Captain

Thank you.

At one time someone had done some research on the Safari Snorkels and found one that could be modified to work on a full-size Dodge Truck or RC but I didn't find it in my quick search. I'll have to see if I can find the link again.

Old 04-30-2013 | 12:01 PM
Sniper X
Captain

Thank you.

At one time someone had done some research on the Safari Snorkels and found one that could be modified to work on a full-size Dodge Truck or RC but I didn't find it in my quick search. I'll have to see if I can find the link again.
Id love to see it because I have fabrication skills but won't do one from scratch. I would not mind to modify one for sure though!

Old 04-30-2013 | 12:03 PM
Sniper X
Captain

On the OPS truck, I would do a Mopar snorkel like came on the Demons and TA's and such.

Old 04-30-2013 | 10:52 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Nice truck. Changed your mind on which way you wanted it to face?

I like your custom gauge cluster. How was that? Whats that on the right side of the dashboard?

Old 05-01-2013 | 05:58 AM
sls001
Captain

Originally Posted by Comrade General
Nice truck. Changed your mind on which way you wanted it to face?

I like your custom gauge cluster. How was that? Whats that on the right side of the dashboard?
When I first got the scoop I played around with it facing forward in case I ever found a short-bed 2wd model to play with.

I wanted the scoop simply to get heat out from under the hood when going slow. But I can say that at highway speeds there is a very strong "pull" of air into the scoop. If I use my windshield washers above 50mph the fluid never hits the windshield it is sucked right into the engine bay

The gauge cluster was fairly easy once I had the basic shape cut out. I used one of the simulated wood grain decals as a template.

You asked what was on the right side - do you mean above the heater controls? That is the dual battery switch panel.

Thanks,

Old 05-01-2013 | 10:33 PM
Comrade General
Captain

When I first got the scoop I played around with it facing forward in case I ever found a short-bed 2wd model to play with.

I wanted the scoop simply to get heat out from under the hood when going slow. But I can say that at highway speeds there is a very strong "pull" of air into the scoop. If I use my windshield washers above 50mph the fluid never hits the windshield it is sucked right into the engine bay

The gauge cluster was fairly easy once I had the basic shape cut out. I used one of the simulated wood grain decals as a template.

You asked what was on the right side - do you mean above the heater controls? That is the dual battery switch panel.

Thanks,
No above the glove box

Old 05-02-2013 | 06:33 AM
sls001
Captain

Oh, I made a plate to sit over the empty speaker hole, currently my GPS is there I might also mount a dock for my cell phone charger. I have a power port under it so can plug in accessories.

Old 05-03-2013 | 04:49 PM
Comrade General
Captain

ah cool. I dont have a speaker on the dash

Old 05-03-2013 | 04:52 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I think starting in the 90's they covered up the hole, and put the speakers in the doors.

Quick Reply: Hood scoop?