1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

some advice on mods/tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Comrade General
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1&2genrams
Hang on before you attempt that......I don't know if its that easy....I suggest you ask around this forum before pulling your front hubs apart...

You have a vacuum operated CAD (Center Axle Disconnect) that is how your truck "locks" into 4wd, not with the hubs, I am only warning you to ask first because I honestly don't know....I swapped my Dana 44 CAD front axle for a non-CAD/regular good old Dana 60 out of a 1 ton so I never had to deal with the 44's hubs on my rig.

Does anyone know if the Warn hubs are a direct swap? the Warn website makes it look like they are, but something makes me think you might need more then just the hubs....maybe its just me though.
hm ok, ill hold off a little while.
Everything Ive seen makes it looks like its just the hubs too but can never be too sure

Old 07-11-2011, 08:16 AM
1&2genrams
Professional

Originally Posted by Comrade General
hm ok, ill hold off a little while.
Everything Ive seen makes it looks like its just the hubs too but can never be too sure
Ya maybe its just me overthinking it,or confusing myself because my buddy had a few Dodges,one with auto locking hubs and another like yours, you might be fine, but definatly find out first.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Originally Posted by 1&2genrams
Ya maybe its just me overthinking it,or confusing myself because my buddy had a few Dodges,one with auto locking hubs and another like yours, you might be fine, but definatly find out first.
Guy at O-reillys said thats all you need to do.

Also discovered problem with the ''choking''. The wire going from the distributor to the coil was shorting out. The insulation had melted. Taped it up and is now working fine. Will be replacing that wire shortly.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Ok got my exhuast redone. Its single into dual. Not near as loud as it was but it sounds nice. Ill take another video and post it here.

Also just ordered some BGF All Terrains. Should get here thursday

Old 07-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Ok got a question. So before I put my new tires on a need another wheel for a spare. I want to get it all done at one time.

I need a 15x10 wheel with 5 bolts of course but thats as much as I seem to can find out. What bolt pattern and back space do I need?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:36 AM
sls001
Captain

Originally Posted by Comrade General
Guy at O-reillys said thats all you need to do.

Also discovered problem with the ''choking''. The wire going from the distributor to the coil was shorting out. The insulation had melted. Taped it up and is now working fine. Will be replacing that wire shortly.

Your truck has the CAD front axle so unless you lock the CAD actuator on the front axle you are gaining nothing by installing locking hubs. The locking hubs will bolt right on in place of the factory hubs...

Here is a link for more information: http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle...ks-to-the-faq/

Old 07-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Originally Posted by sls001
Your truck has the CAD front axle so unless you lock the CAD actuator on the front axle you are gaining nothing by installing locking hubs. The locking hubs will bolt right on in place of the factory hubs...

Here is a link for more information: http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle...ks-to-the-faq/

How would I do that?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Comrade; Did you even go to the link that was provided? It not only explains how to do it it gives pictures.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Originally Posted by SEAL
Comrade; Did you even go to the link that was provided? It not only explains how to do it it gives pictures.

Yeah I just didnt really read much. I did now though.

Thats my bad. Thanks.

Without touching the CAD, would Manual Hubs do anything for me? I already bought them. Ill probably look into the CAD more but just from reading it seems kinda complecated.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:04 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The last statement by sis001 is not entirely true. The locking hubs will disconnect the wheels from the axles regardless of the CAD system. This will improve mileage slightly due to less moving parts in 2x mode. If the CAD system is operating properly you do not have to mess with it to use manual hubs. Having both systems is redundant and complicates trouble shooting if you have a problem later and that is why most people lock the CAD when they install locking hubs even if the CAD is working properly. The main advantage of the CAD is that you don't have to leave the cab when you need 4x4 operation.

Last edited by SEAL; 07-30-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: some advice on mods/tires