1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wierd problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Medevack1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd problems.....

Hey all i have a 89 Power Ram50, 2.6l 4x4 here are some of the issues
1. The weber 32/36 secondary I think is clogged.
2. Sometimes after driving for a long period of time I turn the truck off and it sputters a little then gas fumes start coming out of the exhaust pipe with smoke.
3. When I floored it bogs ( that’s why I think the secondary jet is clogged)
4. The idiot light for the oil flickers from ON to dim from time to time.(oil is full)
5. The "Maintenance service" light stays ON.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:10 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i don't think you will get much help here. those ram50's are completely different then the actual full size rams.

i might guess that your timing might be of since it sputters after you turn off.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:38 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sure sounds like timing. Why don't you pull the codes.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Medevack1

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i don't think you will get much help here. those ram50's are completely different then the actual full size rams.

i might guess that your timing might be of since it sputters after you turn off.
Thank you for the advise but i think anyone here who knows about engines would be able to help, the ram/50 is not too much diffrent from the full size when it comes to basics. but thanks again!!

Originally Posted by SEAL
It sure sounds like timing. Why don't you pull the codes.
is a 1989 didnt think there would be any codes since is carburated. the timming is correct we checked it lastnight, this morning she didnt sputter at all when i shut her off.

Last edited by Medevack1; 10-19-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:30 AM
89ram150
Professional

I used to have a Mazda B2000 that, if the idle was set too low, would make the oil light flicker every now and then due to not enough pressure.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Medevack1

Originally Posted by 89ram150
I used to have a Mazda B2000 that, if the idle was set too low, would make the oil light flicker every now and then due to not enough pressure.
i wish that was my issue, mine idles about 1100 rpms... i think it might be the oil pressure sensor.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:37 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Crazzywolfie is right, your truck is much different than our full size Rams. I have no experience with your particular vehicle but I will throw some things out there to try to jog your thoughts in different directions and I will ask questions to try to guide us in helping you. What engine management/spark control system is used? Did all of these problems start at the same time? Have you tried running a can of Seafoam through it with a full tank of gas? You say the maintenance service light stays on. Was it on before or just since the symptoms started? How long have these problems been going on?

I have never seen an engine sputter after shut down. I have seen them diesel/run-on or just shut off normally. Please elaborate as this may just be a terminology thing.

I would put an actual gauge on the oil system to find out what is actually going on there even just temporarily as that is a problem that can destroy your engine vise just be an incovenience.

The bogging down on acceleration may be the accelerator pump/power valve if your carb uses one. How many miles are on the engine?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Medevack1

Originally Posted by SEAL
Crazzywolfie is right, your truck is much different than our full size Rams. I have no experience with your particular vehicle but I will throw some things out there to try to jog your thoughts in different directions and I will ask questions to try to guide us in helping you.What engine management/spark control system is used? Did all of these problems start at the same time? Have you tried running a can of Seafoam through it with a full tank of gas? You say the maintenance service light stays on. Was it on before or just since the symptoms started? How long have these problems been going on?

I have never seen an engine sputter after shut down. I have seen them diesel/run-on or just shut off normally. Please elaborate as this may just be a terminology thing.

I would put an actual gauge on the oil system to find out what is actually going on there even just temporarily as that is a problem that can destroy your engine vise just be an incovenience.

The bogging down on acceleration may be the accelerator pump/power valve if your carb uses one. How many miles are on the engine?
What engine management/spark control system is used?
The engine is a 2.6l carburated. OEM Ignition the Cap n rotor were replaced and spark plugs too.

Did all of these problems start at the same time?
I got the truck as is and it was already boggin and having these problems.

Have you tried running a can of Seafoam through it with a full tank of gas?
Not yet but i will this weekend.

You say the maintenance service light stays on. Was it on before or just since the symptoms started?
yes it was on when i got the truck and it stays on all the time.

How long have these problems been going on?
since i got her im assuming they were going on with the prior owner.

i got one today i will install it tonight!!!!

3k on a rebuild engine and 170k on the truck. When i took the Air filter off i noticed one of the 2nd opening was clean and the primary was BLACK!!!!

Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i still think the timing is off. it should be set at 7*btdc and it sounds like your timing may be set atdc

Old 10-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Medevack1

ok i will try it at 7* BTDC and see but the sputtering only does it from time to time not always.

Quick Reply: Wierd problems.....