1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1st gen 318 runs terrible after head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:30 PM
olszewski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen 318 runs terrible after head gaskets

I just put on new head gaskets on my 93 dodge 3/4 ton 318. Once i got it together it barely runs it wont rev up at all exept for the first two seconds when i start it up. The only way to get it running right is to pour gas down the intake. I cant figure it out, the timing is right and valves are right and its getting good spark. I put new O rings on the injectors and they arent leaking and when i push the shrader valve on the fuel rail it squirts gas over the roof so i think its getting good pressure and i replaced the fuel pump about a year ago so im sure its not that. Any one else have an idea what to do next?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:40 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check for vacuum leaks. Squirting fuel from the fuel test port really is not a check of the proper fuel pressure. Some parts houses have tool loaner programs where you can borrow a fuel pressure gauge for nothing other than a security deposit (that is refundable) for the tools.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:47 PM
olszewski

Do you know where I could find a vacuum diagram for my truck online?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:40 PM
SEAL
Champion

There should be one on a sticker under the hood of the truck. The vacuum leaks I was referring to would be at the intake gaskets and such. Spray some intake cleaner around all the newly mated seams while the truck is idling and listen for any increase in RPMs.

Last edited by SEAL; 01-03-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:45 PM
olszewski

Its good around the intake but i think i might of mixed up some vacuum lines and there isnt a diagram on my truck

Old 01-04-2012, 06:58 AM
SEAL
Champion

PM me your e-mail address and I will try to send you your vacuum diagram.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:48 PM
olszewski

Well I fixed the vacuum lines still no change. I got a fuel pressure gauge and I'm getting 40 psi at the fuel rail and the spec is 39 psi so that's good. Maybe the fuel injector timing is off? Is there a way to reset injector timing? I made sure injectors are plugged in in the right spot.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 PM
SEAL
Champion

If it runs correctly by pouring fuel in the throttle body you are either getting to much air or not enough fuel thru the normal systems. The resistance in the injectors should be 12.5 ohms. The fuel pressure should be 39-41 PSI with the regulator vacuum hose disconnected but with the vacuum hose connected it should be 31-33 PSI. Is this the case? If it is not the case the regulator or its vacuum supply may be the problem. The MAP and TPS and engine coolant sensor provide the computer with the information to adjust the fuel/air mixture. Any of these sensors giving an incorrect reading could be causing an incorrect fuel mixture and the problem you are experiencing.

Last edited by SEAL; 01-05-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st gen 318 runs terrible after head gaskets