1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

86 or 87 W100 fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Mikeybb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 or 87 W100 fuel problem

I just replaced my mechanical fuel pump with another mechanical fuel pump because when I would take the "pressurized" line to the carb off, it would barely gurgle fuel. With the new pump and filter, I have no fuel period...Where did I mess up? Also, is there a bleeder for the fuel system? It's got a 318 and I don't know what carb but I'll try to find out. Any ideas??
Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-06-2012, 01:47 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No bleeder. Are you sure that the arm of the pump went on the proper side of the cam? You may have a leak in a fuel line.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Mikeybb

not sure about the arm of the pump...is there a way to tell? can you feel it?

Old 01-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Mikeybb

and how long should it take to draw fuel up to the pump, assuming there are no leaks?
Thank you,
Mike

Old 01-06-2012, 02:56 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you cold hook up a fuel pressure tester to it. should have 7 psi if everything is working properly. if you get 0 psi then it might have been installed wrong. have you checked the fuel filters?

Old 01-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Mikeybb

I got the fuel filter after the pump. It would make sense that there would be one before it but I didn't see anything. I took off the pump and reinstalled it. When I took off the new one to reinstall it, there was a bit of fuel that leaked out of the pump. I put it back on and cranked for awhile...and nothing. I unhooked the fuel line running into the carb so I could see when I was getting pressure and none ever came. Are there any check valves that could be stuck closed before the pump? What else could this be?
Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-06-2012, 05:03 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

there should not be any check valve. was there any air coming out of the fuel pump? usually for a quick start after working on the fuel system i would pour some gas in the carb. for the few seconds it would be running it would usually get enough fuel up to the carb even if i stalls. if your old fuel pump failed it might be a good idea to replace the fuel filter. it could be clogged from bits of the old diaphram.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 01-06-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Mikeybb

I should have checked to see if it was pushing anything but I didn't. I did, however, replace the fuel filter between the pump and the carb. I couldn't see any other filters on there. Are there any check-valves to limit backflow in these trucks at all? I would imagine the pump would act as one...Also, is there a filter before the pump, I crawled around underneath and traced lines, I didn't see a filter down there. Is there a sump filter in the tank? It's getting dark and cold now but tomorrow morning I'll be able to mess with it for just a bit then I'll have to get on the plane because my leave will be up.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-06-2012, 05:38 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is one check valve in the system and it is inside the pump. I would get a small can of gas and run a spare hose from that into the inlet of the pump. If it doesn't pump fuel immediately then the pump is not working. If it does the engine should start and run like that. I would then look for a leak in the suction line from the pump to the tank.

Last edited by SEAL; 01-06-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Mikeybb

Good call. Will do.

Quick Reply: 86 or 87 W100 fuel problem