1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'85 D150 project truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:38 AM
rabbit62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with wolfie rear hole should work lol if it helps heres a pic of the passenger side bracket on my 400
http://m1342.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/bigsiebs/Mobile%20Uploads/2012-10-14_153041_zpsd36000b1.jpg.html?o=0

Last edited by rabbit62; 10-18-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:26 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
Old 10-18-2012, 11:23 PM
grimm
Professional

Well I dropped her in today, and it looks like a perfect fit. The engine is nice and close to the firewall and it looks like the tranny mount will line up, but I think I have the cross member backwards, so ill flip it around tomorrow. The 1/2 ton brake booster works with the 400, its just a tight fit to slip the engine in and get on the mounts. Once its in though it sits real nice.
Wolfie: I was going to move the mount to the front of the ears but on mine they wont move there. Drivers side the filter is in the way and pass side theres some casting in the way. Looks like its going to work anyways though.
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it

Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 PM
grimm
Professional

Well, finishing hooking the engine up and whatnot. Going to try re-using my old HEI ignition setup (I think it was the pick up coil in the dizzy that caused problems last time) but if it doesnt work ill get the ECU from the guy I pulled the engine and use the stock setup. Also need the Z bar for the clutch.
Got some wheel studs for the rear discs and they work perfect, cept they might not be long enough for aluminum rims, but I can deal with that next year. So, went to mount the disc brake bracket and hub, and the rotor contacts the bracket Heres some pics of the hub/bracket.
Name:  121029_181454.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  54.0 KB
Rotor contacting the bracket.

Name:  121029_181501.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  48.3 KB
Has to go that last 1/8 of an inch or so to be fully on there.
Not sure what to do now, I cant mount the brackets on the rear as they dont fit. Any suggestions? If it helps there the brackets from cutthroat4x4, and I used '77 Chev k20 front rotors.

Last edited by grimm; 10-29-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:57 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

are you sure you got them on the correct side? the only advise i could give is contact the company you got them from. they should be able to answer any questions you have.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
grimm
Professional

I "assume" that I have them on the correct side. Other posts I have read they were on the front as I have them, but they also had to use spacers to bring it out farther. On mine they fit quite nice on the front, on the rear I might be able to grind the inside of the bracket to fit, I dont know for sure though. Maybe I have an oddball dana 60? I will contact cutthroat4x4 and see if they can help though.
Also, does anyone have a diagram on how to hook up a Holley 2245 carb? I think my accelerator cable is too long so I may have to get another one, but im not sure how the springs/rods go. I have them how I think they should go, but I didnt unhook them when we pulled the engine so im not positive and something just seems off. And the rad, the big block rad is wider than the /6 and the mount holes are different. Can I merely drill new holes in the rad to line up?

Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 AM
sls001
Captain

Originally Posted by grimm
I "assume" that I have them on the correct side. Other posts I have read they were on the front as I have them, but they also had to use spacers to bring it out farther. On mine they fit quite nice on the front, on the rear I might be able to grind the inside of the bracket to fit, I dont know for sure though. Maybe I have an oddball dana 60? I will contact cutthroat4x4 and see if they can help though.
Also, does anyone have a diagram on how to hook up a Holley 2245 carb? I think my accelerator cable is too long so I may have to get another one, but im not sure how the springs/rods go. I have them how I think they should go, but I didnt unhook them when we pulled the engine so im not positive and something just seems off. And the rad, the big block rad is wider than the /6 and the mount holes are different. Can I merely drill new holes in the rad to line up?
On your rear disk brakes:
Over the years the Dana 60's have changed depending on the model etc. I've installed rear disk brakes on several and I've had to space them "inward" on some models and space them "outward" on others.

Here is one on a D60HD from a 1990 W250:
http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/...skMockUp-4.jpg

Here is the D60HD I'm working on now from a 1993 W350:
http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/...t4_800_530.jpg

With regards to your Radiator - you can just drill the holes in the support you need.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 PM
grimm
Professional

Accelerator cable: My boss said that I can probably just wind it up some, and as long as theres no kinks in it anywhere it should still work, so Ill try that

Radiator: Ill make sure that its sitting in the right spot, then drill new holes to bolt it up.

sls001;
My Dana 60 is out of an'83 D250. I heard back from Rob at cutthroat4x4 and he said that they go behind (on the diff side) of the flange. So I did have them on the wrong side then. Did you get the spacers with your brackets or from somewhere else? Mine didnt come with spacers, and the brackets themselves dont want to fit on the rear. I suppose I could "adjust" them though.
Thank you very much for your help!

Old 11-01-2012, 07:04 AM
sls001
Captain

The spacers came with the brackets as part of the kits I purchased from http://www.tsmmfg.com. I've had good luck with their kits. This is the 4th set I've installed - they are pricey but well engineered and complete.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:25 PM
grimm
Professional

I suppose I maybe should have gone that way instead of trying the cheap way lol.
I moved the brackets to the rear of the flange and they "almost" fit. Its just a hair to far back, so the outside brake pad drags if I try to force it on. Guess im gonna have to grind the back side of the axle flange down so that they will fit, then use spacers to bring them back to the right spot.
Name:  DSC_0006.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  89.6 KB

For the carb, I dont think I can re-use my accelerator cable. The hole is too small for the arm on the 400 carb, and I cant seem to drill through it to enlarge it. I can drill and drill but it doesnt do anything. Also do I have the spring in the right spot? Doesnt seem quite right to me :/
Name:  DSC_0015.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  144.0 KB

And this, what exactly is it? Left my haynes manual at the shop so cant look it up. One hose goes to a steel line on the frame, and the other hose I have listed as "to carb," but there isnt a spot for it. Is it neccesary to have?
Name:  DSC_0013.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  87.4 KB

Quick Reply: '85 D150 project truck