1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'85 D150 project truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 11:41 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

that black round thing is a charcoal canister. it is emissions related and should prevent your truck from venting the smell of gas into the air. as far as the throttle cable goes you might be able to swap the arm off your old carb.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No, the return spring is not in the proper place. It should go to the little arm that the throttle rod/cable goes to. One more thing is you should always use 2 springs for the throttle return for safety if one fails.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 AM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use either one to attach. The small hole or the notched groove on the pin. The 2 springs Seal was talking about is a "double" spring with a small one inside the bigger one. Looks like you have the bigger one. The lid on my cannister had it labeled what it goes to. May need to clean it a little bit to read it. Hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:23 AM
SixGun
Veteran

Okay, it was bugging me so I looked and there's an emissions sticker under your hood with the hose attachments for the cannister. Also, in my 91 FSM it has the one on the right that you have unhooked as going to the rollover valve and then the gas tank.

Your motor looks just like the 68 383 I picked up a few days back - dirt included. LOL Mine has the Carter BBD 2bbl. You can pick up some extra ponies and gas mileage cheap by switching to a factory 4bbl intake (cheap most places) and sticking a 4bbl carb on. The factory intake is as good as any aftermarket one flow wise. The BBD only flows about 300 cfm and gets terrible gas mileage even when tuned properly.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:59 PM
grimm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the black canister is merely emissions related and vents the fuel tank vapors into the carb. The "to carb" label on the hose was what I wrote on it when I pulled the /6 lol Seeing as the 400 carb has no provisions for it, can I remove the canister all together or block/re-route the hose?

Thanks for the input on the carb. There was just the one return spring when we pulled it so thats all I got. Might look into getting them both new in the spring. Ill move the spring to the hole or grove on the throttle arm and that should be good then. Ill look at swapping the throttle arms or else ill just buy a new cable.

Originally Posted by SixGun
Your motor looks just like the 68 383 I picked up a few days back - dirt included. LOL Mine has the Carter BBD 2bbl. You can pick up some extra ponies and gas mileage cheap by switching to a factory 4bbl intake (cheap most places) and sticking a 4bbl carb on. The factory intake is as good as any aftermarket one flow wise. The BBD only flows about 300 cfm and gets terrible gas mileage even when tuned properly.
Haha this was a 400 out of a '76 D300 that had been sitting for its fair share of years, so I suppose the dirts understandable . Thanks for the tip on the intake/carb. This just has the holley 2bbl, but I did get a 4bbl intake with the engine. It was kind of rusty on the inside though, so idk if ill use it or not. Its getting parked for the winter once I get it running though, so ill do that nxt year. I do know where I can get a edelbrock 4bbl 750cfm for a decent price though lol

Btw I like your '91, its got a pretty awesome stance.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would not remove the charcoal canister and you do not want to block the line from the gas tank to the charcoal canister. blocking it will prevent your your gas tank from breathing and can force gas into the engine even when it is not running. also if you remove the charcoal canister you have a chance of smelling gas fumes. i know i don't have one and every time i fill up my tank i smell gas.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM
LowDodge
Amateur

mmmm, I love the smell of gas.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:27 PM
SixGun
Veteran

I've got a 77 FSM since there are no 76 FSM's. Didn't make them that year surprisingly.

Anyways, I have a diagram with the carb you have for the charcoal cannister hose connections. If you could post a pic from the front and passenger side of the carb we can match it up. Basically, there apparently were 2 types of the same carb on the 400's. One model had a vent line to the left of the gas inlet. I don't see it in your pic but just want to make sure. Both models have a vent inlet just in front of the choke on the bottom passenger side. The 3 vents on the charcoal cannister looking at it from the top. Left one goes to the carb vent inlet next to the gas inlet (If your model has it). If not, cap it shut. The center one goes to the vent line that runs along the frame rail on the passenger side back to the gas tank. The right one goes to the vent inlet on the carb in front of the choke on the passenger side.

I've seen a lot of posts of guys that smell gas or get vapor lock with the charcoal cannister removed. I wouldn't do it either.

Thanks for the cudos on my truck. I would get a sand blaster to the intake if it's that bad and then paint it. It's worth using. Those return springs are a dime a dozen at a JY.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:28 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

The 76 400 should have the big-bore variant of the Carter Thermoquad.

Visual differences? I've no idea, I am just going on blind faith mine is the big bore.

The big bore was an 850cfm....in case you're wondering.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 PM
grimm
Professional

So blocking the canister is a definite no-no, and removing isnt the best idea either. I dont mind if I smell a little gas, but I definetly dont want vapor lock or any rust starting from the fumes :P

My cannister doesnt use the left side vent, so no worries about that line. Ill get and post pics tomorrow of the front and pass side of the card, then we can match with your diagram. Thank your for that btw. Ill try get some numbers off the carb too so I know for sure which it is. Was going by the pics/info in the haynes manual to figure that it was the holley.

A sand blast job and little high temp paint and that intake will be on par with the aftermarket ones? I likes the sound of that.

Quick Reply: '85 D150 project truck