1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

S6 ran empty now it wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM
tate24texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 ran empty now it wont stay running

I have a 1985 D100 Slant6 with the 1bbl. The truck hasnt been giving me any problems until i was on the verge of running empty. I refilled all the way up added some octane booster because i was running Texaco gas and i dont trust them. Now the truck only runs with the choke on after it warms up it dies unless i put my foot in it. I changed the Fuel Filter,and made sure it was getting gas from the pump to the carb by pulling the line and bumping the key for a second. I know the truck set for awhile before i got it. Thats why i changed the water pump,timing chain,plugs wires,cap,rotor,Dist.,and coil. Could the carb go that quick after running fine the day before? Help i gotta start a great job on Tuesday and this is my only transportation.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

running out of gas can sometimes be bad for a carb. if you don't trust the gas then that might be where the problem is since it will run with the choke on.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:07 PM
tate24texas

I dont see how it would run at all if the gas were bad. choke or no choke. I just went ahead and ordered a carb from online and plan on putting it on tomorrow

Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

with the choke closed more gas is being dumped in so if the gas was bad it would be harder to tell until the choke opens and the idle drops.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:39 AM
tate24texas

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
with the choke closed more gas is being dumped in so if the gas was bad it would be harder to tell until the choke opens and the idle drops.
That makes since. Do you think i should maybe try adding some more gas from a different station and with a higher octane rating?

Old 05-25-2012, 12:57 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i guess you could try. if you got a full tank i don't know if topping up with good gas would make much difference but it would be a start. also i don't think you need to run higher octane gas unless it is ethanol free at which point it would not hurt.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:49 AM
tate24texas

Here in Texas its hard to find Ethanol free. Since this has happened on Sat. ive now used a half a tank. I guess it couldnt hurt to add gas unless i have to drop the tank and replace the sock. Im thinking i should have bought Hyper Pak with 4bbl Edelbrock at the swap meet and converted it to HEI lol

Old 05-25-2012, 11:44 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i don't think a 4bbl would make much of a difference except that you would go through fuel a lot quicker. i also think converting to HEI is a waste of time. as long as the stock system is working good and you are good with a multi meter it should stay working good for a long time.

Quick Reply: S6 ran empty now it wont stay running