1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just bought a '91 W150

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:13 PM
E.C.
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a '91 W150

Just wanted to say hi and share my new toy with you guys. Also hoping for some suggestions/tips/etc as I really don't know much about trucks in general.
It's a 1991 Power Ram 150 with a 360ci engine and 4speed manual transmission.

It does have a few problems and I've been looking through the forum to try and figure them out, but feel free to point me in the right direction:
1. Exhaust leak at headers (seller said it was the gasket, found a thread about plugging the injection holes so I'll look into that)
2. Brake lights don't work (haven't checked fuses yet)
3. I have no idea how to operate 4wd, if I play with it for a couple minutes while stopped I can get it in eventually but to get out of it I have to put the truck in reverse. Not sure if that's normal.
4. Driver's door seal leaks.
5. One tire has a leak, seller said he thinks it's from corrosion on the wheel and unmounting the tire/cleaning/remounting should fix it.
6. Steering is loose and wheel isn't straight (seller said he got the coupler fixed a while back, and I found a thread for the steering box adjustment so I'll give that a try)
7. The truck never starts on the first try, but usually does on the second. That's if I just hold the key in start position for a second or two. If I hold it longer it'll keep turning over until I stop but it won't start, even on the second try. Has to be 2 small bursts. Any ideas as to what this

I think that's about all I found for now, but I do have a couple questions for you knowledgable folks.
The tires are 35" (don't have all the dimensions at the moment), what kind of air pressure should be put in them?
Where can I get a cheap trailer hitch, and what towing capacity does this truck have?
The truck never starts on the first try, but usually does on the second. That's if I just hold the key in start position for a second or two. If I hold it longer it'll keep turning over until I stop but it won't start, even on the second try. Has to be 2 small bursts. Any ideas as to what this might be?

Thanks for any input

Old 11-09-2012, 11:16 PM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a good looking truck you have there. Welcome to the forum.

I used this place for weatherstripping. Free shipping and good prices. You can really save even more buying the whole set at once.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Weatherstri...Truck/-/-/1991

Old 11-10-2012, 06:36 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Good overview but for most things in the future it would be best if each problem had its own thread.

Most electrical problems are ground related with our trucks and the rear light sockets can have corrosion problems.

You shouldn't have to back up to disengage 4x4. Look above the drivers side visor for 4x4 engagement directions but it is shift on the fly except in/out of 4 Low which you must stop and be in neutral. If you have a DANA 44 w/CAD the vacuum axle disconnect can be a problem on our trucks but I personally like that system.

To straighten the steering wheel it will have to be pulled. You can try adjusting the steering box but do it in small adjustments. One of the weak points is the steering shaft coupler gets sloppy. You can get rebuild kits but I highly recommend replacing it with a Borgeson universal joint style shaft.

The starting problem could be fuel or electrical. I would start by looking at the injector spray patterns because it is easy and cheap. Look down in the throat of the throttle body to check the injector spray pattern. There should be a fine cone of atomized fuel at the base of each injector that reaches the sides of the throttle body with no gaps or streams. Low ambient light and a flashlight helps to show off the fuel cones easier. If they are OK I would then start the electrical tests.

Let us know what you find. Nothing is worse than not letting everyone know what you found and how you fixed it so others after us might learn.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:02 PM
E.C.
Amateur

I'm gonna use this as my progress thread if you guys don't mind.

Did a little work on the truck today. I removed the side moldings to clean behind them and found a little rust. Decided to just strip it down to metal and primer it, will paint it a different color eventually.
Also took the interior out and scraped up the loose rust on the floor board as much as possible and gave it a good wash. I'll primer it too eventually.
Trying to decide what do do as far as new sound deadening and carpet since I don't wanna spend a few hundred $ on that. Also looking for a pair of nice seats to replace the bench seat.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 PM
SixGun
Veteran

I used this stuff. It is flexible and doesn't collect water like jute. After generous application of rusty metal primer, I used headliner glue and used it on the floors, back wall of cab, and inside door panels. Used one of those small paint rollers and it conforms to the bends real easy. Best of all, it won't empty your wallet like Dynamat.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...1&rel=nofollow

Last edited by SixGun; 11-11-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:54 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Nice rig you've got there.

Welcome to the show, hope you have a good time with your build up.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Comrade General
Captain

My truck (92 w150) and my dads truck (92 d150) both leak into the cab aswell. Never figured out exactly where. I think both our trucks leak thru the vent under the dash but who knows, weather stripping needs redone too, maybe Ill get around to doing that.

Im gonna second Seal on the Borgusion steering shaft. I replaced stock shaft and coupler and it made a HUGE difference even after the coupler was rebuilt.

Are you sure its a 1991? I thought the grille was changed in 91. I could be wrong but most 91s have the bright chrome cross grille.

Truck looks great though. Love the extended cab and the fact its a manual and 360. The three thing I really wish my truck was, although I would like a 5 speed. If you end up replacing the seat let me know. Mine needs restuffing but depending on price and how nice the seats are I might just get new ones.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used roll roofing for preventing ice dams (like Weatherlock Mat) in my sons car when we put in his sound system to prevent panel vibration. It has one side sticky one side smooth for the eaves not the felt. Then it was $50.00 a roll but I had some left over from my roof so it was free for us. They make it with graduals on the surface and without. We used the smooth non granule and it was just like Dynamat but much cheaper. Here is a link.

http://roofing.owenscorning.com/home...water-barrier/

Update: Lowe's price $55.57 for a 3' x 33.25' roll or $68.73 for a 3' x 66.75' roll

Last edited by SEAL; 11-12-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: price updated
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Scooter78
Captain

I used the same material as seal for soundproofing in my old Mustang. Ill do the same in my Dodge, when the time comes. Its a good tip. I would venture away from the steering box adjustment untill you are very confident in its inner workings. Most often, the slop is in the steering shaft, tie rod ends, pitman arm and bushings. Replace those and I bet you wont feel the need for box adjustment anymore. By the way... Very nice looking truck!

Last edited by Scooter78; 11-12-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 PM
E.C.
Amateur

Good eye Comrade, it's actually a '90. I've had a couple '91 BMWs and was looking for another when I found this truck, so I'm a little used to writing '91 lol.

I went to Pick-n-Pull today to look for some seats, found several candidates but nothing that really stole my heart so I figured I'd wait and see if I can find anything else.
I did come across an '05 Kia Sedona that had all the seats taken out already and the carpet was in pretty good condition, so I grabbed it. I figured I would use the sound deadening material that's attached to the bottom and cover the whole floor board. Also got a few pieces from an '00 Grand Marquis. All for $15.

After spending a couple hours at the yard and getting some lunch I spent the rest of the day working on the truck. Mostly just finished prepping the interior and threw 3 good coats of primer down.

Quick Reply: Just bought a '91 W150