1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do any of you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 AM
hardy541
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any of you?

Do any of you ever have those "quick and easy" projects that should take you a month max? That's all that my engine was supposed to be so I didn't take insurance off of the truck...Well I pulled the engine in mid-September, got the block back from the shop beginning of October. I started re-assembling it. First they shipped me the wrong pistons so they wouldn't fit my connecting rods, Then the main bearings that came with that kit didn't fit. The company said that was the installers fault, so I had to go order a new set. By the time those came in it was the end of October. I got to hoping it would be done by the first weekend of November, but then the oil pan gaskets are wrong, so I have to get a new one. That was supposed to come in last week, but the mail lady doesn't always deliver out here. It finally came in so I put that on and I got to hoping I would get my engine in today...That didn't happen. Someone(my sister) was in the shop last week and moved my clutch disc. I didn't bother to check it until today when I was getting ready to put it on...it's shattered. So I can either pay the insurance for the truck that I am not driving or I can buy a clutch to have a finished truck with no insurance. I just want my truck back. Do any of you have problems like this or is it just me?

Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is more than one thing that can go wrong, the worst possible one will be the one that happens. Don't feel alone. This is why I try to buy most of my internal parts from the machine shop that I use for the machine work. It is not always the cheapest but they haven't screwed me up yet with the wrong parts and they only sell quality parts that they know will work from their experience. You get what you pay for and I am willing to pay a little extra for their knowledge/experience. JMHO

Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM
hardy541

Nick, My machinist, ordered the rebuild kit. He has never had any problems with that company since he first started using them. I think my truck is just cursed, it doesn't like me haha.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:58 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

well $hit happens. that is why you are suppose to keep a bit of extra money for unexpected things like this. i will usually avoid starting a project unless i am sure i can fund it plus unexpected things.

if it makes you feel better up here if you have a seasonal vehicle like a snowmobile or motor cycle you have to pay insurance on it for the full year even tho you can only drive it for about half the year. i know i paid at least $400 last year and only drove my snowmobile 3 time. i didn't even burn $20 in gas. i am just lucky i never bought a trail pass and get screwed even more. that would have been another $100 down the drain.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to worry bud, it happens to us all. I have been a week away from painting my truck for at least three months now. My weekend paint job of my old Mustang took about two weeks. I am in the middle of an afternoon engine swap that started a week ago... Shall I go on? Lol.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 PM
ghonhee
Rookie

I hear you there. Just like SEAL said, things go wrong. Always lol. We all have plans, unfortunately life seems to be bent on making sure those plans fall apart. How we react to those changes defines us. Just keep on going. For me, the hard ones feel better - course not while i'm working on it...

Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

yup.......I have a car in the garage that we did a "quick" motor swap on, we started in about 1998.....only took a few years of scrounging through wrecking yards after i found out i didnt have the proper motor mounts or oilpan... it runs and drives, and due to the fact that i got it from a guy in another province to this day it's still not street legal.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Comrade General
Captain

There's a good story of someobody on here completely rebuilding his truck. Had a donor truck and doing all kinds of stuff. A storm came thru and trees fell on his truck and mess up alota stuff. But he eventually got another truck and started over.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 AM
ghonhee
Rookie

Just happened to have it bookmarked...

Pretty interesting build thread. Anyways, best of luck to you hardy

Old 12-01-2012, 11:37 AM
hardy541

Got the engine finally back together now the cherrypicker is 2" too short to reach the motor mounts...And it can't move back anymore because its hitting the bumper. I'm pretty sure this truck hates me.