1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine preformance ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Slednx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine preformance ideas?

Okay, I am looking for power but i don't know how I can achieve that with the throttle body system on my 91. From what I have read I don't really want to do a carb swap due to the removal of some of the things I have like my cruise control. I have been looking at a performance rebuild but to my knowledge you can't adjust the amount of fuel to the engine due to the computer system in these trucks. Has anyone out there figured out to get more power out of these engines? Ive thought about wiring in a magnum engine in as well...but i don't know.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Sniper X
Captain

How much more power do you want from the TBI motor? A little as in maybe 20 more total? More than 20? If less than 20 or so AND you don't have to pass smog where you live, then on the cheap is to get a quality set of headers, true dual exhaust 3in diameter, with flow master muffs, and get a 4bbl intake with a TBI adapter, or one of the super expensive HP TBI manifolds from Summet, and you might also buy that cam everyone is talking about the magnum 280H or the 260H. You'll possibly get about 20_30 more HP total and be able to feel it but that would be it unless you did a entire swap to a 360 Magnum. Even though it isn't noted the TBI can self adjust to a point but don't expect it to do anything drastic. The reason a TBI and computer is on there is to adjust to things like octane, altitude, driving habits, and things like small differences in exhaust and such. And of course for tuel eco and emissions. Oh and a BIG K&N Airfilter with a cold air induction. Or just supercharge the motor for 5 grand and have about 350 or more HP.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Slednx

well thats all good to know, but one more question, would the TBI support an engine build with about .040 over sized bore, r/t cam, intake manifold, and high flow pumps all around? Ive looked at superchargers but i wouldnt do one unless I rebuilt the motor so I don't blow it up. Ive found one for a little over 2k, I would just have to figure out how to fit it in. Are there larger injectors you can get for the TBI too?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, if you start getting too serious with a TBI engine, you might actually be better off going with a carb setup. But you have a late TBI, so that would be an issue.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the easiest way to get more power out of the truck would be swap out the la engine for a magnum engine with multiport fuel injection. you would gain about 60hp plus there are some upgrades that you can do to a mpfi engine that should not effect the computer.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Slednx

I know about the magnums and power differences since my dad has one and just finished building another for one of his trucks. How hard do you think it would be to wire in a magnum as in if i wanted to keep my current computer system. Or would i have to wire in the computer system for the magnum?

Old 06-19-2013, 03:14 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

depends on how good you are with electrical. you could not keep your current system if you stuck a magnum engine. you would have to rewire a lot of things under the hood to stick a magnum in there but if you are good at wiring then should be not issue. someone just finished sticking a fuel injected engine in his 78.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...a-1st-gen.html

Old 06-19-2013, 05:30 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You seem motivated. Are you brave/insane enough to duplicate this build thread?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...p-upgrade.html

Old 06-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Slednx

thanks for the info and link to the 78 build, I am about to start reading it. I am motivated but not that intense to drop a shelby gt 500 supercharger in my truck. I have read that one and that is some crazy work done on that thing. Makes me think back to when i wanted to drop a twin turbo set up in my truck. This truck is my daily driver but I am willing to have it down for a week or two for an engine swap. I cant have it down for really anything past 3 weeks. Thank you all for the info though, I think I might decide on the magnum swap

Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Sniper X
Captain

Originally Posted by Slednx
well thats all good to know, but one more question, would the TBI support an engine build with about .040 over sized bore, r/t cam, intake manifold, and high flow pumps all around? Ive looked at superchargers but i wouldnt do one unless I rebuilt the motor so I don't blow it up. Ive found one for a little over 2k, I would just have to figure out how to fit it in. Are there larger injectors you can get for the TBI too?
The TBI is not the limiting factor in these trucks, the computer is. Unlike today's computers it is DUMB so has a limit in how wide the parameters are for it to "learn" and make changes based on the information it gleans from the sensors.
Plus, it can't be "taught" like today's computers so it is very limited. Hence my saying that you are limited to what all you need to do to get extra HP and even at that it wouldn't be much maybe 20~30hp and a little more TQ. If you wan more, you need to do a motor swap to a Magnum, or a carb swap. there isn't an easy way out for more than that HP gain on these trucks.

Quick Reply: Engine preformance ideas?