1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help please dads about to move and everything i try wont fix it

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014 | 06:16 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

sounds like your trannys toast.....

Old 02-10-2014 | 08:18 PM
Cmckinney99
|
Professional

I reallycant afford a new tranny right now is there a way to test it

Old 02-10-2014 | 08:44 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

if it was me id pull the pan and just see if the filter is clogged... or if its in right... if the fluid cant get up there then its not gonna go anywhere kinda like whats goin on with your truck

Old 02-10-2014 | 08:51 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Cmckinney99
Well the guy i bought it from changed the filter and it was just on the end of the dipstick and i drove it 35 miles and it did what was above and i was thinking torque converter
This bit of information would have been nice to know in your first post.
The trans is toast.
I'm not trying to scorn you when i say this because we all learn from the school of hard knocks.
They put a "full" mark and "add" mark on the the tranny stick for a reason.
The trans will not function correctly outside those parameters.
Everyone here has made mistakes and learned from it.
I would try used one at junk yard.
Just make sure it has some sort of warranty on it.
And do a fluid and filter change on it and make sure it is filled correctly.
When refilling put in 4 quarts, start the engine and with your foot on the brake run it thru all the gears stopping for a few seconds in each gear.
Always check it in nuetral and it has to be up to operating temp, if the engine is at operating temp so is tranny.

Dave

Old 02-13-2014 | 04:56 PM
Cmckinney99
|
Professional

Ok so i called one of my stepdads friends thats a transmission guy and he said that hell drop it rebuild it and put it back in for 6-700 and do any of you guys know if it could be an overdrive i cant find a button but i sont really know

Old 02-14-2014 | 06:40 PM
grantshultz1994
Veteran

should just be a 3 speed... I think

Old 02-15-2014 | 09:30 AM
Cmckinney99
|
Professional

See i thought it was a plain four speed automatic

Old 02-15-2014 | 09:48 AM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Here is list of mopar automatics's and years they were used. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chrysler_transmissionsYours is 3 speed.

Dave

Old 02-15-2014 | 01:18 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm trying to take an inventory of what's going on here.

A) Sometimes you can put it in drive, and move it, but when you come to a stop, it won't do anything. Right?
Will it go into reverse? Will it upshift to second or third gear?

B) It currently has slightly too much fluid. Right?
What color is it? Does it smell burnt?

That said, will it clunk at all when you move the shifter from neutral to reverse or drive? Do you hear a hissing or any movement of fluid?

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding what you meant in your first post, by "I lost power going up hills, no matter how much gas I gave it". I can't tell if you are describing slipping, or being stuck in third gear.

There is a chance that the transmission is still good. Potentially, the previous owner changing the filter could have either thinned out the fluid too much for the worn clutches to grab, or knocked some crud into the valve body. If you have the bands adjusted properly, and change the filter again, you might have some luck. It's a gamble, but it's what I would do (if I'm understanding this right).

Old 02-15-2014 | 01:22 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

What I'm thinking could have happened was your tranny led a life of neglect, and started developing problems. Then the previous owner probably changed the fluid and filter, but maybe didn't adjust the bands. Now its got the crud stirred up in it, and the fluid is too thin for the worn-out-of-adjustment bands.

If you drop the pan and there is a half pound of shavings in the pan, disregard my advice and get a rebuild.

Quick Reply: Help please dads about to move and everything i try wont fix it